Untitled Part 37- My Life Is Just Great

About a month passed after that with nothing super exciting. Everyday was pretty much the same.

"Hey Darry, what shelf do the plates go on?" It was my night to do the dishes after dinner. Everybody was home except for Sodapop and Dally; They had to go get cigarettes and food.

"The top one." The top shelf was a good 2 feet taller than I was, but I was never really one to ask for help much. I tried to get it up there on my own by jumping, but the plate just kept sliding back into my hands. Then, I remembered that they had a small ladder next to fridge. I was able to get the ladder and position it, then I made my way up three or 4 of the steps. I was still a little short of the shelf, so I tried jumping yet again. That was a really bad decision.

My foot just missed the step when I came back down. I tried to steady myself, but my other leg got stuck in between the bars on the way down and twisted in a way that I never knew legs could twist. I ended up falling right on top of my arm with my leg still stuck in the bar.

Steve, Two-Bit, Johnny, Darry, and Ponyboy were in the kitchen in an instant as I screamed out in pain. Darry managed to get me out of the bar and carried me to the couch, while I tried really hard not to scream.

"Steve, go get me the first aid kit. Two-Bit, come over here and help me. You alright, kid?" Darry had on his parently face, and he kept looking at my arm and leg over and over again, so I knew it was bad.

"Never better." I said through gritted teeth as Ponyboy and Johnny stood off to the side awkwardly.

"Um, Darry, is there anything you want us to do?" Ponyboy had his hands hitched in his pockets uncomfortably.

"Yeah. Johnny, hold her other hand. Pony, grab a pillow and start talking." He looked at me sadly, "This is gonna hurt pretty bad, kid."

I tried to smile as Johnny grabbed my right hand and Pony held the pillow, ready to muffle my screams once Darry started.

"Are you ready?" Steve and Two-Bit sat on both sides of Darry, and tried their hardest to give me some reassurance.

I inhaled sharply. "As ready as I'll ever be."

Pony stuck the pillow over my mouth, and shortly after, a flaming pain went through my leg. It was terrible, so I knew it was broken. I screamed in agony as Pony and Johnny tried their hardest to talk to me. I felt the pillow become damp, and soon, the pain had shifted to my arm. It seemed to take forever, but eventually the pillow was lifted and I saw Darry and the guys looking at me sympathetically.

"Uh, Darry?" Ponyboy looked a little confused as he looked at both of my limbs twisted in weird shapes. Darry turned to look at Pony. "Is it supposed to look like that?"

Darry tilted his head, obviously not a good sign. "I think so?"

I broke in with my strained voice, "Is that a question or a statement?"

Two-Bit laughed at my remark, but quickly stopped after Darry gave him the death stare. I heard the sound of a car pulling into the driveway, and saw Steve run to the door, and based on that, I knew Dal and Sodapop were back. Steve tried to reason with them and tell them to take a walk, but that didn't work. They both shoved passed Steve pretty easily.

Sodapop and Dally ran over to me. Dally looked more angry than anything.

"What the hell happened?" Sodapop kneeled next to me as Dally turned toward the guys.

"I was trying to put some plates away and fell on top off my arm." I writhed in pain as I felt the beads of sweat come together on my forehead. Sodapop reached for my other hand and held it in his, trying to help me feel better. He smiled sympathetically at ne, and I tried to smile back, but I just couldn't.

"Well, then what are we still doing here? Why isn't she at the hospital?!" Dallas looked blazing now and I guess the guys noticed because Darry was the only one who made eye contact with him.

"Oh come on Dal, you know we don't have the money." I tried to reason with him, but Soda figured now would be a good time to jump in.

"Dally's right. We have to get her to a hospital. I'll work some extra shifts to take care of the bills. Come on, Darry."

Sodapop smiled at me again, then turned to face Darry. The whole gang seemed to turn to him in fact.

"I'll go start the car. Dally, Johnny, Soda, y'all are responsible for getting Nic out, safely please. We don't know what the damage is to her arm and leg."