Roses

(Author as narrator)

It's Monday morning and you're getting ready for school. Usually, you're not excited for school, especially on Mondays, but you are today. For one reason, in particular. Chaeyoung. It's her first day today, and you want to show her around campus, and make sure she's not alone. You're really well known around school. You didn't like to brag about it, but no one tried to mess with you. You hung out with your friends, who were also very well known, during your lunch break. A cheerleader, a varsity jock, a brainiac, and a fashion icon. You were often invited to big parties, that you never had any interest to go to. But people still tried to get you to go anyway. Everyone knows who you are, and if they didn't someone would tell them about you. You've had people freak out just because you spoke to them. It was weird to brag about, because you don't think it matters. You didn't care about being "popular" around school. All you cared about was treating others with respect, and people respected that. 

Your mom always puts out an apple and a water bottle on the kitchen counter for you every morning, so you can have it on your way to school. But today she put two of each. She put them into two brown paper bags. One for you, and one for Chaeyoung. You smile when you saw the bags. Your mom had written a small note on Chaeyoung's "Have a great first day, Chaeyoung! Remember, an apple a day keeps the doctors away." You checked to see if yours had anything written on it "I love you sweetie." You smiled. Your dad was eating his breakfast while reading the daily newspaper, and your mom was putting more slices of bread into the toaster. "Good morning!" you said happily. Your parents turn around and smile. "Someone's in a jolly mood today." Your dad says, sipping his cup of black coffee. You never understood how he could drink it like that. You tried it once, never again. "What? Can't a girl like Mondays?" Your mom walks towards you and gives you a big kiss on the cheek. "Be good today, make sure to keep an eye out for Chaeyoung, okay? Don't leave her alone for too long." Your mom says with a slight concerned look on her face, as if it's her own child's first day of school. "Don't worry ma, she's in good hands." She cups your face before she says "I love you sweetie." The same words she had written on your brown paper bag. You smile, "I love you too ma." You hug your dad, grab the brown paper bags, and head out the door. 

As you stepped outside, you could hear the birds chirping, and the sun was shining, but not too bright to the point you couldn't open your eyes, just the right amount of bright. Your car was parked out front, and as soon as you unlocked it, you heard a voice call out your name. "(Y/N)! Hi, good morning." She was wearing black skinny jeans, a white fitted t-shirt, and a navy blue blazer. She looked amazing. You smiled as she walked towards you "Good morning, neighbor." She smiles "My dad was wondering if we could drive behind you on your way to school. My dad's car isn't the most advanced, so it doesn't have GPS." You laugh for a second, "How about you just ride with me?" Her face lights up at your suggestion, and you can't help but smile. "Really? That would be amazing! Okay, I'll tell them. I'll be right back!" You put your bags in the backseat of the car, and start the engine. You take really good care of your car, so it's always clean on the inside. A couple seconds pass, and you see Chaeyoung walk out her house, towards your car. She opens the passenger seat, and gets in "Hi!" she says again. You laugh, and remembered your mom had packed you both a little morning snack. "Oh, almost forgot. Here, my mom packed you a bag." She smiles as you hand the brown paper bag to her. "Awww, your mom is the cutest." She says as she reads your mom's tiny note. Both of you bit into your apples, and you were on your way.

The car ride was surprisingly not awkward or strange. It felt natural to be in a car with her. Maybe it was just her character and her presence. She made you feel comfortable. You were both laughing, making jokes, and jamming to music. It was fun. She looked happy. And so did you. Even if it was silent between you two, it wasn't an awkward kind of silence. It was a comfortable silence. She would stare out the window, just admiring the trees, and the houses. You were still in disbelief that someone could be as pretty as her. "I contacted the school this morning, and asked if you could show me around campus." she said suddenly. You were concentrating on driving, but you responded "Oh, really? What did they say?" with a slight teasing tone to your voice. "They said only if you wanted to." It got quiet for a second before she asked "So, do you want to?" and you jokingly replied with "Hmm, I'll think about it." Chaeyoung's smile turned into a pout and she crossed her arms. You look over, and laugh. "Are you sulking, Park Chaeyoung? Looks like someone doesn't like it when things don't go her way." You say jokingly, because you knew she was joking too. "I'll do it." You said with a smile, and her pout turned into a big smile. She's so cute, you thought to yourself as you drove passed the big bush of roses. 

Upon arrival at school, you could tell Chaeyoung was nervous. She started shaking her legs, and she kept playing with her fingers, which she wasn't doing in the beginning of the car ride. You drove to your designated parking spot, and turned off the engine. You checked if you were parked decently, so other cars could park on each side of yours. You turned to her, and you put your hand on her hands. "Hey, it's gonna be okay, alright? Just stick with me. I promise, it's gonna be okay. First days are always tough, but you get used to it." She looks into your eyes, and you could see she was scared, your hand hasn't left hers. That felt natural too. Your thumb rubs against the back of her hand and you give her a reassuring look that it is going to be okay. She nods with a slight smile, and you smile back. As you get out of the car, you hear a couple loud voices. "Hey! (Y/N)'s here!" And a crowd of four people swarm around you and your vehicle. As you greet everyone, you make your way to Chaeyoung's side. You ask if she's okay, and she nods confidently. You nod back in understanding. As you and Chaeyoung walk onto campus, you introduce her to your friends. "Guys, this is Chaeyoung. She just moved here, so be nice." Chaeyoung smiles and shyly waves to everyone, as you finished your sentence. One of your friends, Kira makes her way to Chaeyoung and introduces herself to her. "Hi, I'm Kira, (Y/N)'s best friend. It's nice to meet you. You're so pretty." Chaeyoung's cheeks got red, as she bowed her head and thanked her. Kira, the head cheerleader. She's always been very straight forward. She never beats around the bush. She once told a boy she just met how attractive he was, and now they're together. That's Jeremy, the school's star quarterback, the next to introduce himself to Chaeyoung. He also introduces himself as your best friend. They weren't lying. You've known them for years, and they've been there for you always. The next is Jessica, known as Jessi. She's top of the school. Straight A+'s for every subject. Everyone in your friend group teases her on being a nerd, but she's just really smart. "I'm Jessica, but everyone calls me Jessi. I really like your hair. It's exotic. I'm into it." Chaeyoung thanks her as well. And lastly, Josh. Your first best friend. You've known him for over 10 years. He's been your friend since elementary. He's very gay, and he's not afraid to show it. He dresses as if it's New York Fashion Week every week. You admired his clothing choices. You wish you had amazing fashion sense too. "Hi, I'm Josh! You are so pretty, wow." You wondered if Chaeyoung was overwhelmed by all the compliments. You couldn't blame them though. 

As your friends walk up to the front doors of the school, Kira and Jeremy at the front, show a little PDA before class starts. Josh and Jessi behind them talking about actors they would love to meet or date. And you and Chaeyoung, right behind the four. You put your arm out in front of Chaeyoung, making her stop. "You okay?" She nods, reassuring you. As you stood there with her, a couple freshmen girls started shouting "Hi (Y/N)! How are you?!" And you showed them a thumbs up, and they squealed. You laughed a little to the sound of the girls in the corner. You and Chaeyoung both walked up the steps, passed a big bush of roses, like the one you saw before, on your way to school. You loved the smell of roses. You wondered if she did too. "I didn't know you were so popular." She said, raising an eyebrow as she pushed some of her hair behind her ear. Her hair looked so perfect all the time, you didn't understand how it was possible, but maybe it was. "Oh, sweetheart. There's a lot you don't know about me." You said with a little too much confidence. She nudged your arm with her elbow. It didn't hurt, but you liked how playful you both were towards each other. You thought to yourself, Mondays aren't so bad after all. The first bell rings, means first class starts.