Brown Eyes

(Reader as narrator)

Mrs. Brooke kept talking about stuff I already knew, so I wasn't really paying attention. I wanted to finish my rose drawing before the bell rang. For some strange reason, roses reminded me of Chaeyoung. Was it her red hair that would always glow in the sunlight, or was it because her skin felt soft every time I accidentally touched her? I'm not sure, but I can't get it out of my head. I can't get her out of my head. I've never had someone consume all my thoughts before. It's definitely a new feeling. "That's pretty." Chaeyoung said as she looked over to my paper. "You're pretty." I answered back. She got shy, and smiled, turning her head away. Damn, (Y/N). Did you really just pull that line out on her. Yes, yes I did.

She must think I'm so strange. I pretend to act all cool when she's around, but she has no idea what goes on in my head whenever she glances at me, or when she smiles so beautifully every time I say something stupid. I suddenly wondered if she had any nicknames. No one ever gave me a nickname. (Y/N). That's it. Just (Y/N). How boring is that? Maybe people don't want to refer to me with a nickname. I don't know. Maybe it's just what was meant to be. "(Y/N), are you paying attention to anything I'm saying?" Mrs. Brooke said after she threw one of her tiny pencil erasers at me. The class laughed. "Yes, of course ma'am." I said enthusiastically, grinning at her, and she went back to talking about whatever she was talking about. "Paying attention, huh?" Chaeyoung suddenly whispered, as she stood behind me. It took me by surprise, so I dropped my pencil, and we both got down to pick it up. Our hands touched, and I looked at her, into her beautiful eyes, and she stared at me for a couple seconds before she apologized. It was moments like those, that confused me. Is it just me who feels these things? Does she feel it too? I need to know. I don't care what the answer is, okay maybe I do a little, but I just need to know.

After Studio Art, me and Chaeyoung made our way to the cafeteria. I could smell the french fries, and pizza bites, and my stomach started making strange noises. I don't normally eat unhealthy stuff, like fried foods and sweets. I'll have it once in a while maybe, but after I've eaten it, I'll feel guilty. My parents sometimes would want to get fast food, because they'd be too lazy or too tired to cook, but I told them that I wouldn't be eating then. My friends used to call me spoiled for being like that, but I just can't down junk foods, the way I used to.

Chaeyoung stood next to me, as we stood in line to get our trays with lunch. She was eyeing the chocolate cake, as I took a piece. She took one as well. We walked through the whole line, our trays full, and soon, our stomachs. I scanned the crowded cafeteria to see where the gang is, but Chaeyoung beat me to it, "There they are!" She said as she nudged my arm with her elbow, pointing in the direction with her head. We walked towards the table where everyone was seated, except for Josh. "Where's the big guy?" I asked, referring to him. "Probably out with his car, trying to impress the football team." Kira said, digging into her pudding cup. Chaeyoung sat on my right, and our arms touched whenever we'd pick up our spoons. She was left handed. She's the second lefty I know. Mom is also a lefty.

A couple moments later, as I'm not even halfway done with my food, I noticed Chaeyoung finishing up her chocolate cake. "You eat well." I said to her, and she shyly smiled. "Do you want my cake?" She looked up and got so happy. I put my plate on her tray and she started going at it. "(Y/N)! You didn't even have any!" She scooped up a generous amount, and moved her fork towards my face. "I'm okay, Chaeyoung." I said kindly. I wanted her to eat, but she started pouting and gave me this puppy eye look. How could I say no to that? So I opened up, and she fed me. She was so happy afterwards. She did a little dance, and I smiled.

Next class, Drama with Mr. Sullivan. Probably one of my favorite classes. Unfortunately, it was a minor class. But it was still one of the best parts of my days. Chaeyoung was also with me, she was shy when introducing herself to the class, but everyone was nice to her and that made me feel good. We have a big production coming up in January and auditions start in four weeks. My friends and drama mates have been telling me to audition for the lead, a girl coming out to her friends and family, with a love interest, and a kiss. I heard a lot of people are planning to audition for the roll of the love interest. Apparently some girls even fought about it, but we'll see.

As we did some improv, I noticed a girl making conversation with Chaeyoung. She said something, that made Chaeyoung giggle. While the girl was speaking, Chaeyoung made eye contact with me, and the girl turned around. She was talking to one of Kira's cheerleader friends, Kristen Chung. She was nice, but I don't know much about her. All I know is that she's really rich, and her parents bought her a Mustang for her 16th birthday. Kristen looked at me, and waved then turned back to Chaeyoung and said something. I wonder what they were talking about.

After class, I waited for Chaeyoung at the door, so we could walk back to our lockers. Kristen was with her as they approached the door. They both waved goodbye and Kristen smiled at me. "I see someone made a new friend." I said, moving my arm against hers. "Oh, Kristen? Yeah, she's nice. She invited me to her house, but I said I have plans today." She said, looking at me as she pushed her hair behind her ear. We were walking out in the hall, and suddenly a loud scream came out of nowhere. Everyone stopped and turned. The scream came from behind me, and I turned around to see a crowd forming. I ran to the scene, with Chaeyoung close by. It was Jeremy and one of his football team mates, Jackson Marcus. They broke into a fight. Kira tried stopping the fight, but it looks like it wasn't doing anything. They were yelling and pushing each other around. I jumped in and got in the middle of it. I tried to calm them down and stop what was going on, but suddenly I felt a strong punch to the face by Jackson's large fist. I fell to the cold floor from the impact, when I heard another scream. I heard footsteps coming closer, and a hand gently touching my face. I couldn't focus on who it was, but all I saw were these brown eyes, with tears streaming down. It was Chaeyoung's eyes. I'd recognized those eyes anywhere. My eyes started feeling heavy, and I couldn't keep them open any longer. Chaeyoung's face was the last thing I saw, before it all turned black.