Chemistry

(Park Chaeyoung as narrator)

I had just come from the principal's office. I needed to pick up my schedule, a lock for my locker, and the map of the school. Unfortunately, I couldn't have (Y/N) with me everyday, showing me which classroom was where. I'm going to have to learn either way. My first class is math with Ms. Wilson. I knew my way around math, so I wasn't worried. I finally found the classroom, I opened the door and a room full of faces stared at me. "Come on in, take a seat." Ms. Wilson said with a wide smile. She looked like she was in her early 30's. She's really pretty. She had brown hair, and you could tell she took care of herself. I sat down, and put my book bag underneath my desk. "Chaeyoung, is it?" She asked, looking at me. "Yes, ma'am." I answered. "Everyone, Chaeyoung is a new transfer student from Australia. I expect you guys to be nice, make her feel welcome." She said as she smiled at me. I bowed. A couple people were saying welcome and greeting me, and I turned to them to thank them. So far so good. I was suddenly patted on the shoulder, and heard a familiar voice. "So I guess you're in my class now." I recognized that voice anywhere. I turned and saw (Y/N) smiling at me. My heart was pounding. "I guess so." I said, raised my eyebrows, and turned back around to face the teacher. (Y/N)'s hand was still on my shoulder. I stayed still, because I didn't want her to move her hand away, but eventually she did, when Ms. Wilson said to take out our textbooks.

During class, (Y/N) kept playing with my hair, and I felt butterflies flutter in my stomach every time she accidentally grazed my back with her hand. She was gentle, and whenever she thought she pulled my hair, she would apologize. It went on like that until the bell rang. Although her playing with my hair distracted me a little, I still knew what Ms. Wilson was talking about. Everyone packed their bags, and walked out of class with their textbooks in hand. I was the last to get out of class, but then I noticed (Y/N) waiting for me at the door. "Did you text your parents?" She asked suddenly. "What for?" I asked. "For later, after school, so they know where you are." I had temporarily forgotten about that. It was sweet that she would think of that, but she was right. I should text them, to tell them. "Oh, oh. I'll text them during lunch time." I said to her, and she stopped and turned to a locker number 97. "Did you pick your locker number yet?" She asked, as she turned the combination on the locker dial. She unlocked it, put her math textbook in, and grabbed another textbook. I couldn't read the name, but it was a big book. "No, not yet. I don't know where to start." She laughed. "Mr. Ford" the principal, "gave me a whole list of empty lockers." I took the sheet of paper from the folder I had in my hand "Lemme see." She took the sheet, and scanned through it. "Looks like this one right here is empty." She pointed to the one next to hers, 96. "I guess that's my locker then." I said, and she chuckled. "I guess we're house neighbors, and locker neighbors now." She said followed by an awkward laugh she forced. She was silly, I liked that about her. I laughed, because she got shy after her terrible joke, but she smiled as soon as she saw me smile. "What's your next class?" She asked. "Chemistry with Mr. Son." I said, looking at my schedule. Her jaw dropped slightly "No way. That's my next class too. Wait hold up, lemme see your schedule." I handed my schedule to her, and she looked concentrated, reading the fine print. "Chaeyoung." She said. "We have the same classes today, Wednesday and Thursday." She said with a smile on her face. She handed me the schedule and the word "Nice" came out of her mouth.

(Y/N) and I walked into the Chemistry lab together, and I noticed a short man, with glasses standing behind his desk at the front of the classroom. He had a white coat on, the same ones that doctors wear. He was looking at a folder, and greeted everyone as soon as people walked in. (Y/N) walked to the closest table with a microscope, and two chairs. I stood there, figuring out where to sit, but (Y/N) called out my name. She pointed to the chair with her head, and I walked to the table. The teacher looked up at the class, and smiled, looking in my direction. "Ah, Park Chaeyoung, am I right?" I nod. "Annyeong! Hwanyeonghabnida!" He said, and I smiled. "Annyeonhasibnikka! Gamsahabnida!" And we both bowed at each other. (Y/N) smiled as I sat down. "You should teach me Korean some day." She whispered loud enough so I could hear. "Of course. Come over anytime." I winked, and she laughed. Mr. Son handed out papers to one student, and they passed it around while taking one for themselves. A while later, (Y/N) had the pile of papers, and pretended to skip me. I lightly slapped her arm, and she winced dramatically. She started laughing, as she handed me the pile of papers. She was very playful with me, and I enjoyed it. Was this one of the signs Alice told me about? I don't remember, but whatever it was, it was nice knowing (Y/N) paid any attention to me.