Chapter Four

As Johnny always told me, Dally was able to "always find a free way." Dally's words, not Johnny's! And sure enough, they and Pony ended up crawling under the fence once we got to the drive-in. Johnny wanted me to climb over it because he doesn't want me to get my red shirt all dirty, but I'm wearing a leather jacket! If anything, I'd be worried about my white skirt and bare legs getting dirty, even though my socks go up to my knees.

I climbed over the fence instead of under. Pony helped me get down and Johnny almost immediately grabbed my hand. As we walked to our seats, he says to me "There are a lot of people here, both greasers and  Socs, so stay close to me." Socs? I started to get worried. What if the Soc that cut Johnny's face was here? What if he strikes again? What if other Socs join in and hurt all four of us. What if one of us dies? What if-

They're getting worse. I can feel it. The nightmares. The what-ifs. The worst-case scenarios. They're all getting worse each and every passing day. Should I tell Johnny? If I don't, what if they get worse to the point where I convince myself a worst-case scenario is true and I start to do something about an untrue fantasy?

I'm doing it again! I have to tell Johnny, but when? What if  I never tell him and he finds out and-

Anniepie stop! You're better than this! Let's just try to enjoy this movie! I stop myself just as we sit down for the movie. The movie starts just as two Socs sit right in front of us. I don't recognize them from the jumping, but even so, I still get nervous. I squeezed Johnny's hand and point to the girls. He can see I'm really nervous, so he assures me that they're not dangerous. I wasn't so sure. I'm always very paranoid whenever any Socs are around, Dingo, outside his school, just on the street driving around, I'm paranoid.

Johnny was right, they weren't dangerous. I could tell when Dally started messing with them. Putting his feet up on their chair and badmouthing them. I'm not sure if it was him or the movie, but at one point, Johnny covered both my ears and eyes until Dally walked away. Johnny unplugged my ears as one of the Socs whipped around at us. "You two gonna start on us now?" Now I'm petrified. I grabbed and squeeze Johnny's arm with both hands as Pony talked to the girl. I was able to catch her name: Cherry.

The other Soc, Marcia, looked at me and giggled a tiny bit while Pony and Cherry are talking. "You don't have to be afraid of us sweetie," she said to me in the sweetest voice I've ever heard. "We don't jump. We're harmless." I look at Johnny, who's tugging for his arm back. Very slowly, I release his arm and grip my chair as I start to calm down very slowly. Marcia gave a sweet smile, and my heartbeat slowed down. She then looked at Pony, who was talking about Soda. "He's a doll. I should've known you two was brothers."

Dally finally returned with three bottles of soda in his hand, giving them to Cherry and Marcia and sitting next to them. "Here, I thought this might cool you off." I looked back at the movie (which Johnny tried to prevent me from doing) before Cherry completely soaked Dally in Coca-Cola! "That oughta cool you off!" Dally then tried to climb on Cherry. I look at Johnny, who's looking at Dally. I look over at Pony, who's looking at me than looking back at Dally. Finally, Johnny stood up. "Leave her alone, Dal!" Dally looked at Johnny, and my heart started pounding again. I gripped my chair, and Marcia looked at me again. "What'd ya say, you little-" this time it was Marcia who plugged my ears until Dally walked away. "Thanks, he had me scared to death," Cherry said to Johnny. Same. "Sure didn't show it. Ain't nobody talks to Dally like that."

"Why don't y'all sit up here? Ya know, so you can protect us." From Dally? Johnny's probably not gonna let me. But I was actually surprised when he turned to Pony and said "What'd ya think?" Me? Defending Socs? From Dally? Welp, I'm dead meat!  "I suppose," Pony shrugged. So I got up and moved in between Marcia and Johnny. "So how old are you three?" Cherry asked us. "16," Johnny said. "14," Pony said. "Funny. I thought you were both 16," Cherry replied. I see Marcia turn to me. "Six," I tell her. Cherry turned to me. "Six?" All I do is nod. 

After a while, I feel a hand grab Johnny and I. "Okay, greaser, you've had it!" I let out a loud scream! It's that Soc! The one who cut Johnny's face! I can feel my heart pounding and my breath speed up as what-ifs and worst-case scenarios swirl through my mind. What-if this Soc has a blade? What if he's about to slice both of our necks? What if he does that to Johnny and gives me his head. The thought made me scream even louder.

"Hey Two-Bit," I heard Pony say. Are you kidding me?  "Heya guys!" I turn around to Two-Bit and really wanted to punch him in the stomach. My heart was still pounding and my breath fastening. I look at Johnny, who seems much calmer than I was. He looked at me and pulled me into a side-hug, smiling. "It's just Two-Bit, Anniepie."

"I, I know." I gasped out. "Sorry Anniepie," Two-Bit said as he handed me a Coke. I look at Marcia, who's now eyeing Two-Bit. I look back at the movie, and I hear Johnny mumble "Wait a second, I've seen this movie before," but he says it so quietly no one else hears him.

Cherry stands up. "Ponyboy, come with me to get some popcorn?" Pony stands up. "Sure. You guys want anything?" Johnny grabs my hand and shoots up. "Can we come?" He winks at them and mouths "Anniepie's six years old." Cherry nods and we follow them. 

"You're friend, the one with the sideburns, is he okay?" Cherry asked Pony. "He ain't dangerous like Dally if that's what you mean?" I look at the line and I see a greaser, someone, not in our gang, trying to cut the line. "Johnny," Cherry turns to him. "You've been hurt badly, haven't you?" She pointed to where the scar was on her face. Now's your chance, Anniepie. Tell Johnny about your nightmares when he brings up the jumping. "A few months ago, I got jumped badly by someone with rings." Tell them now! Bring up your perspective! "I was there. It was terrifying. I've had nightmares every night ever since." Johnny looked at me with a face of why-didn't-you-tell-me.

"Not all Socs are like that, ya know." Cherry saved me by saying. "That's like saying all you greasers are like Dallas Winston. You think the Socs have it made. They're rich. Well, I'm gonna tell you guys something and it might come as a surprise, but things are rough all over." Yeah right. "Come on, we better get back, or Two-Bit'll think we ran off with the money.

Things are rough all over. Yeah right. That explains why my brother's face has a gaping scar over it. That explains why I watched Pony get a blade to the neck yesterday. Greasers have it rougher by far. Socs have money and nice clothes, and greasers walk around blending in with the black sky. Things are rough all over? I don't think so.