Chapter Five

When the movie was over, we went outside and talked to Cherry and Marcia a little more. "So tell me about your older brother," Cherry said. Pony just shrugged. "What's there to tell?" he said. "Come on, I've heard all about your other brother, tell me about Darry. Is he wild and reckless like Soda, or dreamy like you?"

"He ain't like Soda and he sure ain't like me!" Pony blurted out as he started walking. I walk alongside Johnny. "He can't stand me. I'm pretty sure he oughta put me in a boy's home, but Soda won't let him." No way is that true! "Come on, Pony, you two get along just fine," Johnny tells him. "No, we don't! And you shut your mouth, Johnny Cade, cause you ain't wanted at home either!" I stepped up to hurt him, but Johnny squeezed my hand, and I step back to where I was.

Darry and Pony got along like Johnny and I while his parents were alive. Ever since they died, Darry's taken charge, not just of Soda and Pony, but of the whole gang too. I'm always nervous that Johnny and I would grow apart like Darry and Pony, but that happened when his parents died and my parents don't care for us, so I'm not worried. It's the one thing I never have what-ifs or worst-case scenarios about.

"You shut your mouth, kid!" Two-Bit yelled. Pony looked down as we keep walking. "I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me," he says as we continue walking. I look behind me to Marcia and I spot a Mustang. A blue one. I turn white and judge Johnny. He looks over as Marcia says "Uh-oh. Look what's coming." 

My heart starts pounding as I grip Johnny once again, squeezing him. What if he recognizes us? What if he jumps us again? What if he does something to Two-Bit and Pony? What-if this was a whole plan Cherry and Marcia were in to try to kill us? What-if he does kill us? Two Socs get out of the car. "Cherry?" one of them yell. "What are you doing. Just because we got a little drunk doesn't mean-"

"A little? You call reeling and passing out on the streets a little? Bob, I already told you, I'm never going out with you when you're drunk and I mean it!" Cherry yells back. The second Soc steps up. "That doesn't mean you should be walking around with these bums." Two-Bit's now stepping up. "Hey, who you calling bums, pal?" Soc #2, Randy, looks at Two-Bit. "Hey, we got four more in the backseat, two of you has to stay." I look at the other Soc, Bob, and we make eye contact. He speaks before a what-if rolls through my mind. "Hey, what about their little mascot stays behind?"

I have to say something back. Think, Anniepie, think. "Sh-shut your t-tr-trap," I stumble out. "Shut your trap," he repeats in a mocking tone. I look over at Two-Bit, who already has his blade out. "Pity the backseat!" Now it looks like he and Randy are about to start a fight until Cherry blurts out "We'll go with you! We'll go with you alright! Just wait a minute."

"Why? We ain't afraid of these-" Johnny clasped his hands over my eats again until Marcia approached me. I no longer trust her. I start backing up until she puts her hand on my shoulder. I back up even more. "Calm down, Anniepie!" she giggles. "I'll see you soon, okay." I just nod as she pulled me into a hug and goes in the Mustang with Cherry as it drives away.

Later that night, Pony joined Johnny and I at the lot. Johnny turned to me. "Can we talk?" Pony turned around to me and sat down. "About what?" I asked, even though I already know. "The nightmares. Is that true?" I look down. "Yeah. I'll explain."

"They started the night you got jumped by those two boys from tonight. My nightmares were all about that night and what could've happened, mostly worst-case scenarios. What if they were more Socs in the car? What if they did something worse to us? What if they left us with more scars and stitches and bruises. What if they did something to me instead of just holding me down and making me watch you almost get killed? There's nothing worse than knowing you're hurt, or dead."

I look at Johnny. "I didn't know how to tell you," and waited for the what ifs, but none came. Instead, he stands up. "Maybe sleeping in an actual bed will make it better. Pony, can we stay at your house tonight?" I looked at Pony with a pleading look in my eyes. "If Darry lets me. Shoot! What time is it?" Without an answer, he runs to his house. I look at Johnny. "We're going with him. You need to sleep in an actual bed." I nod and run after Pony with Johnny.

Not once in my life have I slept in an actual bed. Every night, I sleep with Johnny at the lot, but I know before I was born that he did sleep on a mattress, with a pillow and blanket, but I never had for a long time in my life. 

We finally catch up with Pony at his house and we run up to him, walking in behind him. I watch Darry as he shoves his newspaper down and stand to his feet. "Where the hell have you been? Do you know what time it is? Well, it's 2 o'clock in the morning, kiddo!"

"Hey Pony, where ya been?" Soda asked, both of them looking right past Johnny and I. "Fell asleep at the lot," Pony said, walking in. I walked in after with Johnny. "You did what?" Darry yelled as he followed Pony. I walked inside and past them as Soda, Johnny and I start talking. Suddenly, I hear a loud crash, and see Pony across the room, now running out of the house. "Pony. I didn't mean to." Darry says, but I don't hear Darry's voice. I hear Dad's.

I look at Johnny and start backing up from Darry. He turns to me. "Anniepie, calm down, it's okay," he assures. "Stay away from me!" I yell as I turn around and try to open the window behind me. I turn back around for Johnny, and I could see Darry stomping to me. Save yourself, Anniepie! I punch the window, opening it, my hand now bleeding, as I climb out of it, running away, my body bleeding. as I run in front of the house, I see Johnny running after me, as I chase Pony to the park.