Chapter Ten

For two days, I just sit in Johnny's room. I'm starving and really thirsty, but I haven't left the seat I was sitting in since we arrived at the hospital. No matter how many times Johnny and the doctors and nurses tell me to leave, I refuse. My legs are in burning pain from being burnt and my mother tried so hard to visit, but Johnny kept saying "Don't let her in."

She was able to get in once. It was hell.

I was sitting in his room. Johnny and I were talking about him trying to talk me out of slowly killing myself until she barged in and locked the door. Doctors and nurses are outside yelling at her to get out. Mom turned to Johnny and started yelling at us. Stuff that I just can't say. She turned to me with her broom aka her weapon-of-choice and looked at my bacon crisp legs. her broom power was now being slammed into my legs, which are now bleeding. If I knew anything from this experience, sometimes the pure can become dark.

I grab the room and poke her in the eye with the stick end of it. I do the same with the other. Now both her eyes are bright red with pain and anger. I hit her face more while I'm screaming. Her nose is bleeding and so is her lip. "How does it feel now!" I scream at her. I shove the broom back into her hands.

All she does is look at me. I look behind me at Johnny, who's thunderstruck. I didn't feel bad, so I look back at Mom. "How does it feel now?" I ask again. She looks as if she might cry as she leaves. "She's gonna murder me if I leave." I sit back down. "When you leave Anniepie. If I die, you have to move on. You're too young to understand." Now I'm saying it to him out loud. "I'm six. Not two." He ignores me.

A few hours later, Pony and Dally run in. I'd completely forgot all about that rumble, and I was reminded when I saw Pony all busted up. "We got them, Johnny. The Socs. We chased them right outta our territory."

"Fighting ain't no good." My heart is pounding now. His voice is getting frailer. I start to tear up. Pony looks at me as Dally says something else. Johnny calls for Pony as Dally sits with me and hugs me. I silently sob in his shoulder. This is it. Johnny's dying today and I'm dying tomorrow.

I let go and look at Johnny, my face red and wet, as his head goes limp and turns to me. "Johnny?" More tears and a new lump in my throat. "Johnny?" I'm so close to letting out a shriek. "Johnnycake!" I scream. The pain in my legs and I stand up does not compare to my heartache. I hold Johnny the same way I held him four months ago. I felt like I was back in that situation as I shriek louder than I ever have in my life as I just hug his body and sob into his burns. I can still hear his voice. "Anniep-" I look up and held his hand.

Which became limp 5 seconds later. I stay where I am and sob next to him. 

The next day, the gang and I met at the lot and held a funeral. From the lot, we walk to the cemetery and buried him next to Mr. and Mrs. Curtis. I look behind me, wondering where Dally was. Next to me, he cares the most about Johnny and I wish I knew why he didn't attend Johnny's funeral.