Chapter Six

I ran after Pony, bleeding and crying, hoping that Johnny's following. What if he's not? What if Darry hurt him too? What if Darry's chasing me? What if he wants to hurt me? What if Soda's hurting Johnny too? I run faster. "Pony!" Pony turns around to me and slows down as I catch up to him and wrap my arms around him, sobbing in tears. He pulls off of me and looks at the blood. "What happened?

"I broke the window and climbed out of it so Dad, I mean Darry," I wiped my eye. "I was scared he was gonna hurt me." I hug Pony again, sobbing. "Calm down. Let's head to the park so you can calm down." I nod as Johnny finally catches up. "Ok-okay." I sniff. "Shouldn't we do something about the blood first," Johnny asks, but he gets ignored as we start our walk to the park.

As soon as we got to the park, all of us go straight to the monkey bars as Pony and Johnny start smoking. I always ask to smoke, but guess what Johnny'll say. "You're too young to understand." Guess how old I am! Six! Guess how old I'm not! Two! I climb up with them but fall out almost immediately. It's wasn't because I'm bad at the monkey bars. It's because of what I saw.

A blue Mustang. And out come four Socs. Bob, Randy, and two more. "Well, well, well," Bob says. I back up and wait for the what ifs. "Aren't these the two greasers who tried to pick up our women." He looked at me. "And their little bleeding mascot." He turned to his friends. "Don't worry, there'll be more later." I panicked and looked at Johnny, who's now coming down the monkey bars as Pony held on and hung down.

All of a sudden, they start running after us. I grab Johnny's hand and start running, but I'm not as fast as Johnny, and a Soc grabs me and picks me up as he and the other Socs, knocked Johnny to the ground. As he tried to get up, they'd kick him down. I looked at the Soc holding me and tried to punch and kick him, but he just laughed. "You're a cute little girl, aren't you?" I try to come after him again, but he just held me and carried me to the fountain. One Soc grabbed Pony as the one holding me slammed me on the ground and the lights went out.

I felt two hands shaking me, as I open my eyes and turn my head to Pony, who's now in tears. Johnny runs over and turns my body to him as he dabs a handkerchief on where I was bleeding. I don't move, back up, or talk until all the blood was cleaned up. When he throws the bloody handkerchief in the fountain, I finally ask "What happened?"

"Johnny k-k-k-" Pony stuttered. He looked at Johnny and turned behind him. I looked past him and Johnny and I see a Soc, lying on the ground, dead. I felt like I was about to faint. In fact, I was about to before Johnny and Pony held onto me, whispering to me.

"No no no." Pony whispered. "Hey, hey." Johnny held on to me and looked at me dead in the eyes. "We're going to be okay," he whispered as he pulled me into a hug. "Everything is going to be okay." I started to cry silently in his shoulder. "Shhh, It's going to be okay." After a short while, I got myself together as we started walking to Bucks, where we thought Dally was. The what-ifs go through my mind. 

What if the other Socs tell the police? What if the police catch us? What if Johnny gets put in the electric chair? What if they kill Johnny? What if Darry's still out there hunting us down? What if he tells the cops. What if Dally turns us into the police?

What if-