Chapter 4

Once everything stopped being awkward between Landon and I at was as if we had never been apart. The first few days were a bit strange. None of us really knew how to act around the other and it was a bit like walking on eggshells. Then it was as if Landon just decided to end the awkwardness once and for all by trying to throw potato chips down the front of my shirt during a movie marathon, and that was it. It turned into a full-blown potato chips fight, and with that the awkwardness was buried 6 feet under.

It had now been a few weeks of us trying this new friendship-thing out, and it really felt as everything was just like before.

Well, minus the sex.

Not that I didn't think about sex... I did. A lot.

And I know that I shouldn't have, but I just couldn't help it.

It was as if Vanessa had a secret superpower that gave her the ability to read minds because she would always magically appear around the time where I would get a little too comfortable or think about some things that I definitely shouldn't have been thinking about. She would always give me the look and not so subtly show me that Landon was her and not mine.

I tried to be mad at her, but I just couldn't bring myself to think that she was unreasonable. After all she was his girlfriend while I was just a random girl from his past who had suddenly decided to come back and show interest in the guy she was dating. She was just marking her territory, and to be honest she had every right to do so.

It was also a helpful reminder to myself that I needed to back off.

However, as the days passed it became harder and harder to do that. Landon seemed to genuinely want to do things with me, and since I felt exactly the same way that resulted in us spending time together almost every day. Even those days where we both had been working we would often make dinner together or watch a movie.

Today was one of those days and Landon and I were reheating some old pizza in the microwave.

"I can never eat peperoni pizza without thinking of you," Landon says as he takes the now hot piece of pizza out of the microwave and hands it to me. "I keep thinking of the first day in high school or my birthday..." He trails off with and smile, and the memory of his 18th birthday makes me smile too. Or "agreement" was still fairly new at that point and I had taken him to a bowling-alley-slash-arcade, however, before we had even gotten to bowl we had been thrown out for starting a food fight with our peperoni pizzas.

"I have no idea what you mean," I say with a smile as I remove a piece of peperoni from my pizza and throw it in his direction. It hits directly in the middle or the forehead and it sticks to it for a few seconds before falling to the floor. I burst out laughing and Landon tries to look pissed off at me, however, it doesn't last long before he too begins laughing.

"Of course you don't," he chuckles as he bends down to get the piece of peperoni and fling it back at me. Luckily, I avoid being hit as I duck to the right in the last second. I shoot him a dirty look, but I can't quite hide my smile. I love our food fights, and I hadn't realized how much I'd missed them until now.

"I don't think we ever got to go bowling actually," I say as I sit down in the chair by the counter and plop the first bite of pizza into my mouth. I had forgotten how hot I was though which results in me sitting with my mouth wide open and my hand waving like crazy in front of my mouth.

Elegant, Isabel. Real' elegant.

Landon just chuckles. "We should go when you get your cast off. To celebrate you know?".

I smile and nod. I like that idea a lot.

"Do you know when you it off?"

"Hopefully in the beginning of next month," I say before diving into my pizza again, this time though after blowing on it for a good 30 seconds. "I have an appointment at the hospital on the 5th, and I'm hoping that he will tell me that my leg is finally healed."