Chapter 8

*Mature*

"You look different. It's a good different, you look much more happy than last time I saw you. Of course, now you're no longer convinced that your life is going to end so that might be why," Skylar teases as lifts her eyebrows and take a small sip of her water. She has been sending be better-knowing looks all day and I wonder why she hasn't just said I told you so yet. It isn't like her to miss an opportunity like that.

"I am good, amazing actually," I answer as I ignore that last part.

Emily looks confused as she rests her hands on her growing stomach. "What did I miss?"

I'm just about to answer when Skylar beats me to it. "Isa was convinced that the universe was trying to kill her by making her move into the apartment across from Landon's – a Landon that wasn't available seeing as he, at that time, had a girlfriend. Isa-dear was feeling oh-so-sorry for herself, but I – as the great friend that I am – told her that if they were meant to be then everything would work itself out and look what happened!" She sounds so smug and the knowing smile on her face says it all – she will never let this go.

"Just say it already," I say with an exaggerated sigh as I bend over to lay my head down on the table, and I throw my hands over my ears to hopefully block out what I know is coming my way.

"I told you so!" Skylar all but screams, and my hands do absolutely nothing to block out the sound. "I told you that you had nothing to worry about, and I told you that his girlfriend wasn't as perfect as you thought. I knew it all along."

I lift my head again when it sounds like she is done, and I look around to see that she has attracted quite a lot of attention towards our table with her loud outburst. "Are you done yet? Not everyone in the café needs to know about my personal life."

"Oh please, they just wish that they were cool enough to sit with us. On Wednesdays we wear pink losers." She says the last part a bit too loudly and the last few people who had been looking at us quickly look away. All but the girl sitting directly to the left of us, she just giggles signaling that she clearly got the reference. Apparently, it didn't matter that it was in fact Saturday and not Wednesday.

I facepalm myself and out of the corner of my eye I see Emily sink down in her seat a bit as if she hopes to suddenly become invisible. I know the feeling.

Someone clears their throat behind me. "Uh, we aren't wearing pink, but can we sit down anyway," Landon asks nervously while gesturing to Eli and Noah who are standing behind him. They all look visibly confused as they watch Skylar make a fool out of all of us.

It's been a few weeks since that wonderful weekend where Landon and I officially became a couple and avoided the real world for a few days. These past two weeks have been absolutely wonderful, and Landon and I are together every day. We make dinner, watch movies, go out, and – of course – have lots of sex, and I couldn't be happier. Coincidentally, the weekend where Noah and Eli both returned home to visit their families and the weekend where Skylar was scheduled to come visit me were the same, so we had decided to invite Emily along too and get together like the old days. Well almost, we were missing a few people of course, but this was better than nothing.

We had planned to meet up individually and then get together at a local café that Landon and I loved after the boys had played some soccer and the girls and I had gone shopping. That was where we were now, but by the way this was going I wouldn't be surprised if we were going to get thrown out very soon.

"You can't sit with us!" Skylar screeches in her best Gretchen Wieners-impression, and without thinking I roll up my napkin and throw it at her hitting her right on her forehead in the process.