Chapter 4

(Naruto's P.O.V.)

     I stared at my hands. They were cut up and bloodied. I looked above them and saw a strange man with pitch black hair styled in spikes with piercing red eyes. I looked down at myself and saw that I was high above the ground.

     I was falling.

     Or am I floating?

     Was I falling?

     Where am I?

     I saw strands of golden hair flutter in the sides of my head, barely in view. It was longer than I remembered.

     When was my hair so bright?

     I looked at my legs.

     When were they so long?

     I looked up towards the retreating sky, looking into the mans eyes as I reach the ground.

     "See you soon, Naruto."

     I was bare meters above the grass and dirt.

     I softly closed my eyes.

     SPLAT!

(3rd Person P.O.V.)

     Naruto felt his eyes flutter open, holding a glazed look, trying to remember what wasn't there. He sat up rubbing his eyes and let out a yawn to scare away his cravings of sleep. He pushed back the covers and he sat up, his mind starting to clear. A shiver ran up his spine as his feet came into contact with the cold wood floor.

     Soft pitter patter of his feet and the rain against the window filled the hallways as Naruto made his way to the kitchen. A soft scent of coffee and hot chocolate filled his nose accompanied with the sound of sizzling made his stomach let out a low groan. Naruto hid behind a chair as Shiro turned to the sound. A low chuckle was heard.

     "I know you're there Naruto, come on out, I'm almost done with breakfast."

      Shiro turned off the burner and layed the eggs onto two plates with bacon, a sundried tomato carrot onion mix, and some mashed potatoes. Naruto's nose crickled with the sight of the onions, making his care-taker let out a soft laugh. Naruto sat in his seat across Shiro's larger one with his meal in front of him, stretching out his arms trying to steal the hot chocolate from Shiro's hands.

     "Hey, I wanted to ask you something-" Shiro looked up to see Naruto gulping down his hot chocolate before even daring to touch the tomatoes and onions, "Well-it can wait after we eat I suppose, haha." Shiro shook his head with a smile, reaching for the salt.

     The soft clicks and clacks made the two smile, a nice morning with soft rain and a warm home made everything worth the wait for them both.

----------AFTER BREAKFAST TIME SKIP BROUGHT TO YOU BY "I took a walk on the cool sand dunes, brittle grass overgrown, and above me in the night sky, above me, I saw. Bitter taste of unripe peaches, and a smell I could not place, nor could I escape. I remembered other times that I could not escape. I remembered other smells. The moon slunk like a wounded animal. The world spun like it had lost control. Concentrate only on breathing, and let go of  ideas you had about nutrition and alarm clocks. I took a walk on the cool sand dunes, brittle grass overgrown, and above me in the night sky above me, I saw." 'This message was brought to you by Coca-Cola'
              -Welcome to Nightvale Radio----------

     (3rd Person P.O.V.)

     Once the dishes were cleared, much to Naruto's discontent as he had to eat the 'cursed' things, the two were able to sit down and have their 'chat'. Shiro could tell Naruto was nervous, though he couldn't place any thoughts as to why. He thought Naruto had realised his plans to train him and didn't want to give away the fact that he knew, but he had been wrong. Naruto was worried that Shiro had changed his mind about wanting Naruto around, making his head spin with reasons as to why that may have been. The two were both having the wrong ideas, but that was the least of Naruto or Shiro's worries; the thought of the other's actions being for another reason didn't cross either of their heads.

     "You're 8 years old right now-" Naruto nodded, "and this means you will be attending the Ninja Academy in 2 years, more precisely 1 year and around 7 months." Naruto was caught off guard, what had Shiro meant to say when he brought up Naruto's age?

     "For the time being, I want to train you. What do you say,-" Shiro's eyes glittered as he watched Naruto's posture perk up, "Naruto?" He let out a soft smile towards the child.

     Naruto hadn't realized he had started crying until Shiro stood up suddenly and in a worried frenzy picked up Naruto, hugged him tightly.

     "Oh no, did I say something wrong? Are you okay, Naruto? It's fine if you don't want to, I understand-I just thought since-" Naruto wrapped his arms around Shiro's neck, surprising him, and started to mumble gumbled up sentences. Naruto couldn't believe that was what Shiro had wanted to ask of him. Shiro didn't want him gone!

     He kept repeating that to himself while whispering words of gratitude into Shiro's neck. Shiro let a soft chuckle pass his lips and he hugged the small child tightly, rubbing small circles against his back. The two later fell asleep on the couch, Shiro still holding onto Naruto tightly and Naruto's head laid softly onto Shiro's shoulder. They slept through the rain and they didn't mind.