the beginning of the end

The world did not end in a bang or a whisper, but rather, one scream at a time.

3rd person pov

White flower petals fly on the breeze, reaching every corner of the broken, dead quiet city, they float on a cool afternoon breeze. Five men stand on a six story building, dropping the petals to the world below them. Tears fall down each of their faces. They cry for the ones they lost. The ones crushed by the rubble of broken buildings.  The five men look at the ground below, the dead citizens of the city walk, limp, and crawl around seeming to have no purpose as to where they're going.  Daichi watches each of the dead, looking for his lost love, sugawara koushi.  Asahi looks for his short ball of energy, nishinoya yuu.  Kageyama scans the rubble for a small, orange haired ray of sunshine, hinata shoyo.  Bokuto searches for someone too beautiful to be real, akaashi keiji.  And Iwaizumi discreetly looks for someone so annoyingly gorgeous, oikawa tooru.

Yes, each and every one of these men has lost someone dear to their hearts.  Asahi walks over to daichi and rests a gentle hand on his shoulder, "daichi, I'm sorry, but we need to keep moving."  Daichi sighs a little out of relief, relief if that's what you can even call it.  He couldn't find suga, that's either a good thing or a very bad thing.  He wipes the remaing tears from his eyes and nods a little, he turns around to look at the others, "alright, let's get going.  We have a lot of ground to cover before nightfall."  They grab their weapons, and strap them to their backs.  They jog off of the roof, and down the stairs.  Daichi leads them to the back entrance, or in their case, exit, and steps outside.  He glances around before running out of the doorway and into the back alleyways. 

There is very little action in the alleyways, maybe one or two of the dead wander back there, but they are easily avoidable.  They all keep running, hoping to get out of the city, but it seems like the alleyways are never ending, they just keep going for hours.  Asahi notices how dark the sky above them is, he moves past everyone to talk with daichi, "daichi, we need to stop, it's getting late, we need to rest."  Daichi slows to a stop, and looks up at the sky, he groans when he sees the bright stars shining above them, "damn..  Time flies when you're trying to escape."  Iwaizumi walks up to daichi, "now isn't the time for jokes, daichi.  We need to find a place to rest for the night."  Daichi glares a little at iwaizumi but nods, "trust me, I know.  We need to find an open door and go up to the roof, we have enough time to do that at least."

They set off to find an open door.  They eventually find one and slowly enter the building, searching for any of the dead.  They split into two groups, a group of two and a group of three.  Daichi's group takes the second floor, luckily there are only two floors to cover.  Iwaizumi and asahi stay on the first floor.  Iwaizumi caustiously moves throughout the floor, hiding behind corners before peaking around them to look for anything.  Iwaizumi hides behind the last corner on the floor and takes a deep breath before peaking around to look down a dead end hallway.  He stares into the dead, cloudy eyes of one of the dead.  He can take in every detail of the torn up face that is barely two inches from his own face, he can see the decaying flesh torn away from it's face, the disgusting muscle and bone, and he can smell the rotten flesh of it. 

It starts to open it's disgusting mouth and Iwaizumi snaps out of the daze, "shit!"  He quickly pushes the thing away and brings up his knife, slicing it's head off.  He stumbles back, breathing heavily, his eyes wide as the moon.  Asahi puts a hand on Iwaizumi's shoulder, "good job, lets go meet up with daichi and the others."  Iwaizumi looks at asahi, he swallows hard and nods, "yeah, ok."  They make their way upstairs to find daichi and the others, they bump into kageyama first.  Asahi looks around, "where's the rest of the group?"  Kageyama points somewhere behind him, "they're waiting on the roof, daichi sent me to check on you guys, did you close the door downstairs?"  Iwaizumi nods and walks past kageyama towards the stairs to get to the roof, "yeah, I closed it when everyone got inside."

Asahi and kageyama follow Iwaizumi up to the roof, where the other two are waiting.  Daichi is standing near the edge of the roof, looking at the ground below them, bokuto is lying on his back on the floor, his arms under his head.  Iwaizumi walks over to daichi while asahi and kageyama sit down next to bokuto.  Daichi keeps his gaze on the ground, "did you run into any of the dead?"  Iwaizumi glances at daichi before turning his gaze to the ground, "only one, it wasn't much of a challenge."  Daichi nods, and finally turns to look at iwaizumi, he pats his shoulder and walks over to the group.  Iwaizumi takes a last glance at the ground before turning and following daichi.  

Daichi lays down next to bokuto on his back, he stares up at the starry sky.  Iwaizumi sits down by the broken door, "I'll take first watch."  Asahi looks at Iwaizumi and nods then lays down on his side.  Kageyama looks over at iwaizumi, "are you sure?  I can take first watch, I don't mind."  Iwaizumi shakes his head, "I got it, kid.  go to sleep."  Kageyama sighs and nods before laying down, closing his eyes.  No one could really sleep though, they were worried, worried they'd never make it out of the city, worried they'd never see their loved ones again.  None of them would ever admit it, but they were all terrified of what was to come in the days to come.

The night was quiet, too quiet for Iwaizumi.  He was scared, not that anyone could tell, he shows no emotion but anger and annoyance.  He looks down the stairs quite frequently, expecting a group of the dead to just stumble up them.  But they never did, the dead were inactive during the night, which was good for the group, it meant they could sleep in peace.  But they still kept watch just in case, better safe than sorry right?  Iwaizumi looks up at the half moon, he sighs and gets up.  He walks over to the group to wake somebody up, he usually chose bokuto.  He lightly kicks bokuto in the side, "oi, wake up."  Bokuto groans and blinks his golden, owl like, eyes open, "is it time?"  Iwaizumi nods.  

Bokuto slowly gets up, grabbing his rifle, checking it quickly, and walks over to the door.  He leans against the wall next to the door and folds his arms, occasionally glancing down the stairs.  Iwaizumi lays down and closes his eyes, falling into a light sleep.  These transitions went on until the sun rose the next day.  It's how every night went for them ever since the end of the world started.  Then the next day, they'd be on their way again, trying to escape the city.