Checkpoint

Everyone continues their journey after everyone has eaten, the edge of the city can be seen in the distance.  Tall, broken buildings stop and wide open grassland stretches on for miles.  Kageyama is trailing behind everyone now, his feet dragging, his head down.  Everyone gives him space, afraid of him yelling at them.  Suga clings onto Daichi's arm as they walk across the rooftops.  It's unusually quiet in the streets below, not an active zombie in sight, it's odd but the large group considers it a blessing, they don't have to worry about them trying to climb onto the roofs.  

It's about noon when the group finally gets to the edge of the city.  Noya takes off running towards the fields, Asahi calls after him, "Noya, wait!  You don't know what's over there!"  He starts running to catch up to him.  Noya is just about to get to the top of the hill when he runs into an invisible wall, he yelps in surprise and falls backwards, falling on his butt.  His collision sent a visible vibration throughout the wall, revealing the size of it.  The invisible barrier is actually a large dome shaped barrier that encircles the entire city.  

The group watches the vibration travel through the force field with horror.  Asahi kneels down next to Noya and helps him up.  Noya looks at the invisible force field with wide eyes, "what the hell is this!  We were supposed to be free!"  Bokuto walks up to where Noya hit the barrier and rests his hand on it, particles light up where his hand rests.  Bokuto clenches his hand into a fist and starts pounding on the barrier, "let us out!  You can't keep us in here!"  

Suddenly, a projection of a woman with dark hair and dark eyes appears on the barrier.  She has a beauty mark just below her bottom lip and glasses.  She looks at everyone and shakes her head then adjusts her glasses, "welcome to the checkpoint, I am Kiyoko, I am impressed so many of you have made it this far.  Before you are allowed to move on, you must answer one simple riddle, and I'd hurry if I were you."  Low gurgles and growls can be heard in the near distance behind the group.  They all whip around and see a large hoard of zombies are ambling their way over.

Oikawa looks back at Kiyoko, "what are you waiting for?!  What's the riddle!"  They all rush closer to the barrier to put as much distance between them and the zombies as they can. Kiyoko is handed a piece of paper by an unknown person, she calmly reads the question, "If you drop me I'm sure to crack, but give me a smile and I'll always smile back. What am I?"  Everyone but Bokuto thinks about that.  Bokuto looks at everyone, confused, "you guys actually have to think about this?  Come on, it's easy!"  He opens his mouth again to say it but Akaashi slaps his hand over Bokuto's mouth, "we don't know how many chances we get, you shouldn't try answering."

Iwaizumi looks at Kiyoko, "how many chances do we get?"  Kiyoko holds up three fingers.  Akaashi sighs a little and takes his hand away from Bokuto's mouth, "fine, go ahead."  Bokuto puts his hands on his hips, "obviously it's goldfish, you know, the snack that smiles back."  Everyone groans and shakes their head.  Kiyoko shakes her head, "no."  Bokuto pouts, "aww man, I totally thought that was it."  Noya walks over to him and pats him on the back, "that was a good try."

Asahi has been watching the zombies this whole time, "guys!  They're getting closer!" Kageyama steps forward, "is it glass?"  Kiyoko shakes her head a little, "you're close but no, it's not glass."  Kageyama frowns and steps back so he's behind the group again.  Oikawa pats him on the shoulder, "that was a really good guess."  Suga steps forward nervously, "I-it's a mirror, right?"  Kiyoko pauses for a moment then nods, "it is, congratulations, you have made it past the checkpoint."  Kiyoko disappears but the barrier doesn't fall.  Daichi rushes forward and pounds on the invisible wall, "open the damn barrier!"  Asahi rushes to Daichi, "Daichi, they're here!"

Daichi turns and sees the horde of zombies getting dangerously close, he turns and starts feeling along the barrier, "quick!  Try and find a door!"  Everyone runs to the barrier and quickly feels along the wall, searching for a door, if there even is a door.  After a few minutes of searching, and the zombies getting closer, Iwaizumi calls out to everyone, "I found the door!"  They all look over and see Iwaizumi half in the barrier and half out.  They all take a quick glance at the approaching zombies and run to the door.  

One by one they pass through the door.  Asahi and Noya, who are behind everyone else are fighting off the first zombies that catch up with them.  Asahi runs through the door, he stops a few feet  outside the barrier, "Noya, we made-  Noya?"  He looks around for Noya, only to see him still inside.  Noya is pounding on the barrier where the door just was, but it's gone.  He's screaming for help, terrified.  Asahi runs back to the barrier and starts hitting the barrier with his weapon, "NOYA!!"  Noya is forced to turn around to fight off the hoard of zombies surrounding him.

There are too many for Noya to fight, they easily over power him, blood spattering all over the the barrier as they tear him apart right in front of Asahi.  Asahi watches in horror, tears streaming down his cheeks, "n-noya... oh my god..."  He has to look away from the gory scene, Daichi and Bokuto grab his arms and forces him away from the barrier.  Asahi loses his footing, falling on his butt sobbing.  The group just stands there, staring at the hoard of zombie's and the blood on the invisible barrier.  They can't even see Noya anymore, he's been totally devoured.