Blue(bird)

***hi yes hello it's me again, with the terrible infrequent updates***

Karlie's POV
Tay didn't have class the next day, or the next two weeks for thanksgiving break, so we spent most of the next day in bed. Well I did anyway, she spent most of her morning pacing around our bedroom, worrying about her gig at the Bluebird later on.

It was kind of crazy how fast I'd come to refer to her apartment as "home" or said things like "our bedroom" but then again, she did the same, and the universe didn't lie.. Did it?

I definitely hoped not.

"Babe." I murmured, reaching out a hand to stop her.

"Hmm?" she muttered as she absentmindedly flipped through her notebook for the fourth consecutive time.

"He's heard your demo CD, he really liked it. You got this tonight."

I felt her relax as she sat down on the bed next to me, almost melting into me as she wrapped her arms around me.

"I'm just really nervous. I've never had a big record producer hear my music before."

"You got this, and I'll be there every step of the way." I repeated, kissing the side of her head.

I finally got her to sit down and watch a movie with me before we had to get ready to go.

///

As she was standing in the bathroom putting makeup on I couldn't help but peek in at her. She glanced at me out of the corner of her eye and smiled.

"What?"

"I just love you a lot." I grinned.

"I love you too Kar."

I sat on the edge of the tub as she finished her mascara. It was her turn to look at me now. I was dressed in a pair of ripped skinny jeans, an older, washed t shirt and a leather jacket. Whereas she was dressed in a flowy skirt and jacket. We appeared as total opposites, reflecting our personalities, but I still saw the subtle changes we'd both made since meeting each other. I had a floral bracelet on my wrist and the jacket she had on came from my closet, a little tattered and well worn, but loved.

She grinned at me. "You look hot."

I smiled back at her and tucked my hair behind my ear. "You look pretty hot yourself."

"Are you ready?" I asked as we walked out of the bathroom.

She picked up her songbook and guitar and nodded, taking a deep breath. "I guess so." she answered, her voice shaking a bit.

We got to the Bluebird 45 minutes before the doors were open. I helped Tay settle her stuff into the back corner of the room all the performers were in, which wasn't terribly big, but enough to hold the 10 or so people. She got her guitar out of her bag and leaned it against her leg as she brushed her hair out of her face.

"I'm so nervous."

"You'll do great," I reassured her for probably the 1,000th time that day. "You've player in front of lots of people before."

"Not this many though..." she trailed off.

"You got this." I repeated, squeezing her hand.

An hour later, she was perched on the stool in the middle of the cafe, her guitar in her lap.

"Hi, I'm Taylor and I'm going to play a few songs for you if you like."

I leaned in the doorway of the back room and smiled to myself. I wasn't ever going to get tired of hearing her introduce herself, and I hoped soon it would be in big stadiums instead of small cafes and coffee houses. I couldn't think of anyone more deserving than her. She wanted it so bad, and I wanted her to achieve it so bad it hurt.

Each performer was allotted 15 minutes or 3 songs, whichever they preferred. Tay had picked 3 songs, thinking that less was more.

Moments later, her sweet voice filled the small cafe and I smiled to myself in the back corner of the small venue. I could see her nervousness melt away as she caught my eye and grinned.

"I swear she's destined for the screen,
Closest thing to Michelle Pfeiffer that you've ever seen"

I met her in the back room again after she was finished with her set.

"Holy cow, that was awesome, I was so nervous and I'm still sweaty." she laughed.

I grinned at her. "You were great babe." I replied, hugging her and kissing the side of her head. Tay was one of the last performers so while she was packing her stuff up, Scott walked up and introduced himself.

"Hello miss Taylor, I'm Scott." he said, holding out a hand for her.

She blushed and shook his hand. "It's nice to meet you."

"Karlie here told me you were talented but man, girl." he laughed. "If you're interested, I'd love to have you come into the studio to do some recording!"

hi hello, my tiny human is in bed & I can't sleep so I'm updating & starting drafts. I know where I want the book to end but idk how to get there 🤷🏻‍♀️ we'll see what happens! Comment some ideas or incorporations that you'd like to see!