Ch 9: Don't Look Back

Chiyo's POV

"Who do those boys think they are", I huffed pacing back and forth on the living room rug in front of the fire place. "Inviting me to join their journey like I'm some lonely, helpless, charity case." I threw my arms up in the air. "I'm obviously not helpless since I'm still alive after being on my own for a while." I paused for a moment. "I mean I am living off of someone else's money and in their house but hey I'm still breathing." I stood there for a second slowly losing against my own reasoning yet continued my rant. "And I am far from lonely. Do you think I'm lonely?" I realized I had just asked a picture frame on the fire place mantel if I was alone. "Oh god, instead I've gone insane." I buried my face in my hands.

I looked back at the photo in the cherry wood frame; it was a picture that Laxus and I took at the start of our journey in front of a wizard shop on the countryside.

FLASHBACK

"Okay kid let's get what we need and leave," Laxus huffed shoving a woven basket into my small hands, "The faster we get done here, the faster we start your training."

"Yes, sir." I saluted causing him to glare at me over his piece of paper that he had written a list of supplies we needed.

"Don't call me 'Sir'. Call me Laxus. 'Sir' makes me sound old."

"But you are old."

"I'm not old!" He blurted out angrily, lowering his tone to calm down. "I'm only 22."

"Still 12 years older than me."

"Wow I didn't know you could do math Chi-Chi." Laxus smirked teasingly not bothering to move when I punched his lower arm. "That was weak. Looks like I have to train you extra hard so the next time you punch me it won't be as pathetic as that one." He walks over to a bucket of multicolored crystals.

"I'm not weak", I grumbled in my spot next to him as he placed them into the basket.

Strolling around the shop for some time was beginning to bore my 10-year-old self until something shiny caught my attention. I made a B line towards the object immediately. I thought it was weird; it was shaped like a rectangle but had a big circle on it.

"What does this do?" I questioned pressing the red button on it only to be hit with a flash of light. "Ah!" I screamed in fear dropping the devil object.

"Chiyo, what's wrong?" Laxus asked running up to me.

"T-that thing it did something- there was a flas-my god I think it stole my soul?!" I panicked tugging at his fuzzy jacket sleeve. "Laxus make it give my soul back."

He stared at me baffled as he followed the end of my finger to see what I was pointing at and then burst into fits of laughter.

"Chiyo It's a camera."

"Camera?"

"You know it takes photos." My express still indicated that I lost. "Right, frozen in time. Well you point it at something and then press the top red button." He directed the camera at me and clicked it, causing me to be blinded by a flashing light again. "And a photograph comes out." A thin plastic sheet slides out of the bottom of the box. He handed it to me making my eyes grow in disbelief.

"How can I be there when I'm standing right here!"

"Chiyo, a photo is like a drawing. It captures a moment in time." He explained going back to his list, while placing multiple items into the basket, before taking it from me since it was weighing me down.

"Capture a moment..." I continued toying with the box like machine.

"Do you want it?" Laxus inquired noticing my obvious fascination with the small device.

"Really." I beamed in disbelief, a large grin breaking onto my face.

"Yes, now let's hurry up, you're wasting my time playing with the thing." He grumbled taking the camera and everything else to the register to pay out.

"Laxus let's take a picture!" I exclaimed eagerly once we walked out of the shop.

"What? No. I bought that to distract you not to annoy me with it."

"Please, Luxy, please, please, please-"

"Fine!" He growled, "Fine, just one stupid photo."

"Yay!" I cheered jumping up and down in happiness of my win against the stubborn young man.

He released an exhausted sigh before planting himself in a wooden chair in front of the shop, motioning me to come forward. I crawled onto his lap, handing him the camera as he directed it towards the two of us. I could see him frowning in the corner of my eye, so I reached over and just as the flash came my lips kissed his now pink cheeks.

"What was that for?" Laxus asked trying to will his body to cool down, while I admired our photo.

"You were frowning and I wanted our first picture together to be special and it is. Look," I showed him. "We're cute in it." He seemed like he was going to deny it but stop just staring at it for a bit until he suddenly took it from me and hide the photo in his shirt pocket. "Hey! I wanted that!"

"Shut-up kid, I'm keeping it safe for us, well for you mainly."

"Sure, you are." I smirked knowingly at the stubborn blonde, who scowled at me in return before throwing me over his left shoulder with the supply bag on his other and started walking away from the shop onto our journey.

FLASHBACK END

Such a happy memory but reality settled in, soon turning into a bitter taste in my mouth as anger boiled within me. "Are you ever coming back?" I question the Laxus in the frame like he could actually hear me. "You said you'd come back so where are Laxus? Was that just a lie you made up to fill my mind with false hope, while I am stuck in this place waiting for you is that what you wanted." I felt my tears beginning to spill over and my tone rose with each word I spoke. "I've waited for too long you big idiot if you thought there was a chance you'd never come back you shouldn't have left me at all. I should have been with you."

All the sadness and truth I had been holding in was released and I couldn't stop it. I knew he wasn't going to magically appear and tell me he's sorry. He's gone, and there was no point in waiting for him, so I wasn't. "I can't wait for you anymore. I have to move on. I need to move on." I confessed going to my room, throwing everything I could into my bag. By the time I was done deciding which items were most necessary, which believe me it's hard, it was close to sunrise.

I took a quick shower and changed my clothes. I walked over to the mirror to tie my hair up and notice my necklace still there. I went to take it off but stopped, because even though he wasn't coming back that doesn't mean I couldn't have something to remind me of him.

Casting a spell on the house to keep it clean and untouched, I waved goodbye to my past as I walked down to the docks trying not to look back.