[7/10] as many times as you need

[name] wanted to speak, to break the silence, to do something to help, but she couldn't. she watched tamaki collapse onto the pavement outside of the doctor's office and desperately wanted to assure him that it was okay, but the words wouldn't leave her mouth.

"it's progressing too fast," the doctor had said, empathy coating his words. "if we don't operate within the month, you will die, amajiki."

before they left, [name] already had the apology on her lips, ready to say it as soon as they stepped out the doors. but then he fell to his knees and the apology swelled but she couldn't spit it out.

she kneeled beside him, reaching out to rub comforting circles into his back, but he stopped her. the hand that tamaki held up between them was shaking.

without any warning, he heaved and a shower of daisies (some whole, some just petals) tumbled out of his mouth and onto the concrete. they were bloodier than any [name] had seen recently.

the doctor's words echoed in her mind.

[name] took the hand that tamaki had raised to stop her from touching him before. she intertwined their fingers, gripping it tightly. "i don't care how many times i have to tell you, tamaki," she murmured, pressing a chaste kiss to his knuckles. "i love you."

one day she wouldn't have to pretend not to see the doubt flash in his eyes.