CHAPTER THREE

The unhallowed ground outside Mist Gate was covered in dreary mist; the ground, deep in the recesses of the tainted, rotting, graves, created a cumbersome mood, that settled the lands. The village, the tavern, the inns, and docks, overflowed with the shouting of sailors, who prayed for salvation, while they saw the cursed vampire castle.

***

Banarby Thorpe, the London Dock Master, shivered.

He smoked a pipe, and waited.

Peter Farrow, a sailor, shook his head.

"The mist, Sir...".

The mist rolled along the docks. Lamps illuminated their sunken faces. "The barrels of wine shall be delivered to Lord Carnavan".

"The Lord, Barnaby, travels to the village on business".

"Three hundred gold coins, Peter. And if you see anything out of the ordinary, run". Peter followed the Dock Master's orders, and did as he was told.

***

Peter walked past the Mist Gate Tavern.

The cobbled roads were dark. By six o'clock, several sailors were drunk already. He opened the dim front door, then strode towards one of the garish looking mahogany tables.

"One ale, and a room for the evening". A burly barkeep, named Harding, stared at him.

"Two gold coins".

"The price...".

"The price, Sir, is two gold coins".

Peter threw five gold coins onto the bar.

"And a warm stew".

"Mist Gate's stew, Sir, leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth".

"The stew shall be...".

"The stew is served with fresh bread. But, alas, the ale tastes...Well, Lord Carnavan owns the tavern. And he enjoys the food".

"In my possession is barrels of wine. If the Lord...".

"I'll inform the Lord that the wine travels to the right destination".

"But, Sir, the roads are dark".

"All of Mist Gate's business shall be attended to soon".

Peter shivered, and waited for dinner to arrive.

Outside, the lamps glowed unnaturally, along the cobbled steps.

***

Page 9.