continued...

The door burst open.

Five vampires glided past the tables.

Peter stopped eating.

"Good evening, Harding".

"Lord Balaign".

The first vampire, gazed at Peter.

"And where's Lord Carnavan's wine, sailor?".

"The barkeep shall...".

"Harding's one of us, sailor".

"A vampire".

"Mist Gate is so named because of the mist. And travelers die on the wrought-iron fence. Their blood drained, and their flesh ripped open".

"The Balaign family...".

"Lord Carnavan killed my family. The year of eighteen hundred and ten. It happened at the same time of night; it happened due to a debt of six hundred gold coins".

"Sir...".

The vampire flew in the air.

Then landed near Peter.

"Lord Frederick Balaign, sailor. A vampire of magick arts. Blood flows in the village; blood is life. Alas, in my eagerness to refrain from feeding on humans, such power continues to flood my veins. Too many wars are fought; too many dead bodies on the docks. Lord Carnavan, and his family, deny those who seek fortune...and kill them".

"And you do not, M'Lord?".

"My pleasure is to feed on humans...and other vampires. The tavern, and the village, are connected; the gate, and the garden, are protected; the gargoyle statues protect my enemies. And, so, I seek a human to do my bidding".

"M'Lord, I bid you good night".

Lord Frederick Balaign glared at Peter.

"The wine, sailor, shall be in my possession".

"And if I refuse, M'Lord?".

"You'll be bitten thrice...and die like Simon Darlinghurst".

***

Page 10.