Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Excitement rushed through my veins as I packed my bags. I couldn't wait to go to summer camp! This time around, I would be a camp leader. There's nothing better than the outdoors, and helping children. Summer camp was originally safe haven for those of us who aren't human. It was a place for supernatural beings to be themselves, and stop hiding their powers. Until 2016 when we had a bunch of people protesting the camp for only allowing certain people. As of 2018, the camp is open to all, but secretly divided by supernaturals and normies. Summer camp was the one thing that brought me joy after everything that had happened with my brother. I clang on to summer camp. I remember as a kid going to summer camp and learning how to transform into a bat. This summer is going to be amazing.

"You okay?" a soft voice asked. Ii turned around to see my sister Abigail. Her chocolate brown eyes filled with concern.

"How could I be?" I asked dramatically. "'This is the first year you aren't coming to camp!"

"Yeah, I know. But can you blame me? Orlando is taking me to Rome!" She exclaimed. Orlando is her boyfriend of 4 years. They've been dating since she was 16. They make each other extremely happy. But what Abigail doesn't know, is he's proposing. Unlike Zac, Orlando had gotten permission from everyone in the family to marry her.

"I guess I'll make this exception just this once," I said, trying to fight back a smile.

"You're the best twin sister ever!" Abigail said, hugging me. "But, don't you think you're too old to go to summer camp?

I frowned. To old for summer camp? Granted, I am 20. But summer I've never not gone to summer camp. I can't even imagine what you do during the summer besides summer camp. And I'm old enough to be a camp counselor! This is my time to grant someone the joy my camp counselors granted me.

"No Abby, I'm not to old," I said with a huff.

"Alright. Just make sure to drink some blood before you leave. You know the airport has a lot of people," Abigail warned. I grabbed my hydroflask and shook it to show that I was drinking blood. Not drinking blood and then being surrounded by people is a dangerous thing. My family is against drinking human blood. Apparently, it was like a sweet drug. Once you have a sip, you crave it and do some pretty crazy things to get more and more blood. Because of that, we stick with animal blood. It's not that appetizing but it gets the job done.

"I'm gonna miss you this summer Carolina," Abigail said.

"I'm going to miss you too," I muttered.

"Stay safe," She whispered.

***

I find the airport one of the most fascinating places. There's constantly so many people, each and everyone doing their own, going to their own location. Whenever I'm at one, I do absolutely nothing but people watch. When I people watch, I give each and everyone their own story, but today, I could not stop and people watch. I had somewhere to be, and I definitely did not want to be late.

"Hey Carolina!" A familiar voice called. I felt my body tense instantly. Drake Smith. Yes. He was a descendant of Marybeth;s family. He looked just like her. He had the same blonde loose curls, blue eyes, dimples and freckles across his nose and cheeks. Just looking at him hurt. So I started speed walking, but unfortunately, he was faster. "Why hello there Monster girl."

"Monster Girl? Is that the best you can do fleabag?" I asked refusing to look at him.

"You tell me leach," Drake said.

"Ouch. That hurt," I said sarcastically, putting my hands on my chest. "What do you want?"

"Can you help me find my flight?" He asked.