Chapter 3

I was the first one to wake up that morning. I was surprised to see another person sleeping in one of the empty beds. Her curly red hair was a mess. She looked like she had rolled around in dirt before coming inside. She looked like the youngest of all the girls. She had to be 7 or 8. No older than 9. Moving on from the sleeping child, I made my way to the bathroom. God knows how happy I was that the bathrooms were connected to the cabins. I could brush my teeth in peace, and use the bathroom with ease. Public restrooms have always creeped me out. With public restrooms, there's always a fear of a human spotting me, and panicking when they can't see my reflection.

I took a quick shower, and put on a comfortable band tee shirt with a pair of maroon sweatpants. I put my hair into pigtails but because of my thick curly hair, the pigtails looked more like puffs, but I made it work. I made my way to the cafeteria, enjoying the Utah morning breeze. I was surprised to see supernatural children like Timmy, running around the cafeteria with kids appearing to be human. I could be wrong. My monster detector isn't what it used to be.

I got pancakes and bacon for breakfast and was reminded of the time when my three brothers, Ben, Charles and Zac, tried to make breakfast for our parents anniversary. They wanted to prove that they could do better than the girls. So they figured they'd back breakfast in bed. They decided to make scrambled eggs, pancakes, toast and bacon. You can't have a more American, easy, breakfast than that. Yet somehow, they managed to fuck it all up. They burned the pancakes, set the bacon on fire, put the toast in the oven and added too much milk to the scrambled eggs. I'll never forget the smell of that horrible, hilarious, disaster. Needless to say, the girls gave our parents a better surprise. You can't go wrong with a prepaid romantic dinner away from the kids.

As I was reminiscing on the memory Matt sat down next to me.

"Hi Carolina!" He said eagerly.

"Good morning Matt!" I said.

"How are you liking your campers?" Matt asked.

"Everyone is interesting," I answered. "There's this one girl, Sabrina? And she's lowkey a jerk, but everyone else is super sweet."

"That's cool," Matt said, smiling. "Oh hey! Do you mind if I invite that kid to sit with us?" He pointed to a kid with long light brown hair that covered his eyes. The kid wore a black hoodie and black skinny jeans. "He's in my cabin and has a hard time talking to people."

"Yeah sure! I don't mind," I replied.

"Cool!" Matt said flashing me a grin. "HEY KYLE!" Matt waved dramatically to the boy, and he made his way over. "Wanna sit with us?"

"I guess," The boy muttered. He had to be a teenager. His voice was rather deep, but from the part of his face I could see, he had a baby face.

"This is Carolina, she's my friend," Matt said as he took a bite of his toast. "Woah this is really good. You should try it." Matt tore off a couple pieces of toast for me and Kyle to try. After one bite my stomach instantly felt terrible. I felt nauseous and light headed.

"I'll be back," I said getting up carefully.

"Sure thing," Matt said, but his voice sounded far away. My vision was blurred, and everything was starting to fade to black. Regardless, I rushed outside and bumped into someone.

I heard a familiar voice say "Why hello there Monster Girl." before passing out.

***

When I awoke, I was in a nurses office. Next to me was... Drake? Why? What was he doing here.

"She's up," He said to one of the nurses. I tried to get up but felt a sharp pain in my abdomen. I inhaled sharply as one of the nurses approached.