Chapter Three: Trolls

The Company travelled for another day, and Adelaide was getting drowsy. She barely had the energy to steer Daley around low-hanging branches. Most of the company was in a similar state. Poor little Bilbo nearly fell backwards off his pony if Adelaide hadn't caught him.

Thorin finally noticed his company was tired when Kili was too busy yawning to dodge a low-hanging branch and got socked in the nose.

They soon came across a farmhouse that had been burned down. Adelaide dismounted with Gandalf and stood in what used to be the doorway with him. "A farmer and his family lived here."

Adelaide ran her finger across a sooty plank if wood and brought it to her face. "This place was only burned down yesterday," she whispered to Gandalf.

The old Wizard turned to the company, who was busy setting up camp. "I think it best if we keep moving. The Hidden Valley is near-" he was cut off by Thorin.

"I refuse to set foot in there," he growled.

Gandalf glared at the Dwarf King. "I did not give you that map and key to-"

"I did not know they were yours to keep," Thorin said, glaring back at the wizard.

Gandalf huffed angrily and started farther down a path.

Bilbo looked up as he passed. "What's wrong? Gandalf? Where are you going?"

"To be alone with the only person who has sense in this company."

"Who?"

"Myself, Mr. Baggins." Adelaide watched as her friend stormed away from the company.

"Gloin, get a fire going," Thorin commanded.

Adelaide shook her head and swiftly climbed a tree, and sat on a branch, leaning against the rough trunk. She swung one leg down, and looked up through the leaves, at the sky.

Thorin looked over at the White Rider, or Lunar, as Kili has taken to calling him, and quirked a brow. He could see a golden ringlet escape from the confines of the hood. The Rider quickly tucked it back inside his hood.

Something isn't right about that man, Thorin decided.

•••

Soon, night fell, like a dark blanket being draped over Middle Earth.

Bombur was handing out bowls of stew for supper, and Thorin sent off his nephews to check on the ponies.

"Bilbo! Bring these to Fili and Kili," Bombur said, handing the hobbit two more bowls.

When Bilbo didn't return after just needing to hand the dwarf princes soup, Adelaide stood and went in the direction Bilbo had gone, to see Fili and Kili crouched down in some bushes. Adelaide looked through the branches, and felt her blue eyes widen. Three trolls were gathered around a fire, with four of the company's ponies tied up behind them. Adelaide could see Bilbo nervously sneaking up behind them, and try to saw through the thick rope with a dagger.

Fili glanced behind himself and his brother, sensing a presence. He relaxed seeing it was Lunar, and told Kili.

Kili grinned. "Bilbo's going to get our ponies back."

The three watched as he snuck up behind one of the trolls, to get it's knife. Adelaide watched in horror as the troll sneezed into Bilbo.

"Hey, look at what's come out o' me hooter!" He said, holding out the snot-covered Bilbo.

"What is it? Some kind of overgrown squirrel?" One asked, looking at him.

"I dunno. But I don't like the way it's moving around like that!"

He dropped Bilbo, and Adelaide watched as Fili ran off to tell the others.

When Adelaide turned back, Kili was running out into the clearing, his sword drawn.

"Drop him!" He demanded.

"You what?" One of the trolls said, looking over at the young dwarf prince.

"I said drop him!" The troll threw Bilbo at Kili knocking both of them down.

Adelaide climbed up into a tree, crouching on a branch just above the trolls' heads.

She watched as the other dwarves charged into the clearing, weapons raised.

She was about to help, when she saw two of the trolls hold Bilbo by his arms and legs.

"Drop your arms, or we rip his off!"

Adelaide watched as Thorin dug his sword into the dirt, glowering at the ground. The other dwarves reluctantly followed, grumbling under their breath.

Soon, half of the company was roasting on a spit over the fire, squirming and trying to free themselves.

Adelaide silently and agilely swung from tree to tree, until she was behind the trolls. She nearly gagged at the stench they were giving off.

Bilbo caught sight of her white cloak, and wiggled to his feet. Thorin had also seen the white cloak disappear in the trees, and a little bit of hope bubbled up inside him. The White Rider would save him and his company.

Bilbo had taken to distracting the trolls, as Adelaide crept forwards on her branch. Bilbo glanced nervously over the trolls' shoulders at her, and relaxed slightly as he saw the Rider draw his sword. The rider leapt from the tree, and slashed at the trolls.

The dwarves' eyes widened. "Is he crazy?! He can't take on three full-grown trolls by himself!" Dwalin protested, watching as the Rider hacked and slashed at the monsters.

"I don't know," Fili grinned. "He's doing quite a good job at it."

Thorin watched, thoroughly impressed, as a man much smaller than himself overpowered three large trolls.

The trolls were in pain. They were missing several toes and fingers, one of them had been stabbed in the eye. They were injured and furious.

Angered, the biggest troll reached out and finally grabbed the Rider by his cloak. "Who are you!" He roared. "White Rider!" Everyone, monster or person, has heard of the White Rider at least once in their life.

Adelaide squirmed, trying to free herself from the troll's grip. She was hopelessly swinging her sword, not hitting anything. One of the other trolls grabbed it and threw it towards the dwarves. It landed by Thorin. Elven made, he thought. Who exactly is the Rider?

The troll wrapped his hand around Adelaide, pinning her arms to her sides. She grunted softly as she struggled.

"Hiding your face, aye?" The troll growled. "Let us see who are, Rider!"

Adelaide squirmed harder, thrashing her head away from the troll's approaching hand. Everyone was silent. The dwarves were curious to see the White Rider's face as well.

The troll pulled her hood back.

"The dawn will take you all!"

The rock split as Gandalf stabbed it with his staff, and the troll dropped Adelaide, stepping on her in his frantic movements to get away from the light.

She felt one her ribs snap, and she yelped in pain, the wrap around her chest suddenly feeling tighter as she struggled to breathe.

She lay on her stomach, winded and wounded, her face finally revealed to the company.

"The White Rider is a woman?!"

EDITED