Chapter 14: The Monarchy Circus

Princess Gwendoline was back in London. Besides the wedding, she had been in her timeout. While Buckingham Palace had lifted the timeout, the upcoming state dinner was meant to serve as her first official event since the summer began. The wedding was more of a formality. There had been opportunities for Gwendoline to be welcomed back to the circus that was the monarchy, but none of these were taken.

The day of the state dinner was meant for getting ready. There were higher royals than her, but she had been chosen for her charm and language. The prime minister of the visiting country was known for getting handsy, and Gwendoline offered up the perfect opportunity for him to flirt. If he did try to get handsy-- well, Princess Gwendoline's reputation preceded her in this. It had been a month or so since the attack on London, and the world knew of her ability to bring down several men at a time.

A deep green dress was laid out on the bed after she got out of the shower. A tiara in a secure case with two armed guards sat on the desk. In the green dress, it was all basic and no show until it came to the cape. It was the same green, but she had a cape. When she walked, besides the heels clicking against the ground, the cape flowed behind her, dragging against the ground.

When it came to the tiaras, Queen Mary's Lover's Knot Tiara with green emeralds dripping off of it was placed onto her head. The gloved hands were careful. Pins were pushed into her scalp in hope of securing it. Naturally, Princess Gwendoline was tall; in heels, she towered over everyone.

In a long hallway of Buckingham Palace, the princess was positioned as the royal photographer called for her again and again, trying to get the best angles. The lighting changed, and the princess changed along with it. In a week was her birthday, and that meant a new royal portrait.

When that was finished, the princess joined the queen before the honored guests arrived. Other guests had been arriving and so forth, but the queen and princess were only pulled outside to meet the important ones.

"You look lovely," the queen said, looking up at her granddaughter. "That tiara suits you."

"It also gives me four inches."

"Like you need it," Elizabeth joked. "You'll be taller than the prime minister. Hopefully that will make him back off."

"Granny, are you telling me you don't want an international incident?" asked Gwendoline sarcastically.

Elizabeth smiled. "I prefer if we didn't."

"I'll try to keep that in mind." Gwendoline ran her hands down the front of her dress. An attendant had pulled Gwendoline's cape so that it looked its best. "Let's say, I accidentally do-- am I still your favorite?"

"I don't have favorites, Gwen. You know that."

"You shouldn't lie to yourself like that, Granny. It's not good for your health."

"That's what Charles says."

"He's only looking out for you," Gwen replied dryly.

"He's looking to see how quickly he can get his hands on the crown," Elizabeth disagreed.

"Across Europe, monarchs have been abdicating."

"Over my dead body."

"That's the idea, Granny," Gwendoline joked, and Elizabeth laughed. Their laughter filled the hallway. Around them, attendants and butlers waited quietly, backs straight and noses in the air. Even if they did try to tell people about this, no one would believe them.

"I've been meaning to ask, Liney, there is an upcoming visit with the president of the United States. He wants to meet here-- he wants a state visit. They managed to talk him down to Windsor and tea," Elizabeth said, fixing her purse. "Come join me."

"I would be honored, but why me again?"

"You're the most imposing."

"Oh, Granny, we don't play in politics."

Elizabeth sighed and checked her watch. The prime minister was running behind, and truthfully, the queen had better things to be doing. Thankfully, the prime minister's car pulled up then.

"Look alive," Gwendoline muttered to her grandmother.

"Walk two steps behind me, minor."

Gwendoline waited two steps and then walked forward at the queen's request. They stood at the top of the red carpet steps as the prime minister and his wife got out of the car. His eyes flitted to the princess, and his tongue ran across his teeth. The princess kept the smile on her face, but in the pockets of her dress, she cracked her knuckles.