Chapter 17: Expose Your Heart

Buckingham Palace was a time-based institution. Most announcements came out at 10am GMT. Princess Gwendoline had to be up for then. Buckingham Palace's private secretary was back at Clarence House, and the Clarence House private secretary was not happy with this whole thing; he thought that Buckingham Palace should've done a better job with keeping this out of the hands of the press.

Buckingham Palace handed over a press release, stating that this was written by the princess. None of it was true. With everyone looking over her shoulder, Gwendoline read through this. Taking out a red pen, Gwendoline went to work. Buckingham arched an eyebrow, but he let her continue. When the princess was done, she handed it back to Buckingham Palace; he read over it. A frown settled on his lips, but then he deemed it good enough. Buckingham Palace left.

When 10am GMT hit, it was released on every social media platform: "A response from Princess Gwendoline about the recently released pictures:

"For a long time, I have known that I am part of the LGBTQ+ community. I have never been shy about it, but I have never been open about it. Before these pictures were released via news sites and tabloids, my family and friends were aware. They have supported me in the past, and they continue to support me. I know that they love and accept who I am. I know that I am fortunate because not every person that comes out as LGBTQ+ feels loved and accepted. I want you to know that I love and accept you, as does my family.

"As for the way that I came out, it is unfortunate that I didn't get a say on how it happened. The tabloids chose to take this moment away from me and making profit from something that was very personal. If I had chosen my way, perhaps I would've chosen confetti and a cake, but now, I will never know.

"I know who I am, and I know who I love. I have known my entire life, and it has never stopped me from doing anything. Some people will say that this is wrong, but I can tell you that it feels right. Now, that it is in the open, I can openly be who I am. I am not scared for the next step; I am excited for whatever opportunities come my way.

"I will champion human rights for all LGBTQ+, just as my mother, the late Lady Diana, did. In our few years together, she taught me much about being who I am, accepting who I am, thriving as who I am. I will take the knowledge and strength that she gave me, and I will pass it on.

"Lastly, I would like to thank everyone across the world has shown support and love to me. You have helped to make this an easier transition into normal life. I have always kept this close to my heart, and I was nervous when it was shared with the world. However, now I can see that those worries were for nothing. Thank you.

"Sincerely,

"Princess Gwendoline"

***********************************************************************************************

Clarence House's private secretary wanted to feel important, Gwendoline decided, which was why he kept interrupting her. She wanted to be alone in her room, but every so often, he would knock on her door personally to give her an update. The princess didn't need updates because she knew this was going to work. The public loved things like this.

As Clarence House was in the middle of his fourth speech about numbers, Margo began to call, and Gwendoline ordered him out. Clarence House left without a second thought. Once the door was closed, Gwendoline picked up the phone. "Hey, is everything good?"

"Yeah. You?" Margo asked.

Her eyes traveled back to the door, like someone was watching and listening. She lowered her voice. "Yes. I'm all right." She laid back on her plush bed. "Are you calling for your reason?"

"I just wanted to hear your voice," Margo replied. "Nothing more than that. Should I be calling for more of a reason?"

"No. I'm sorry. I'm just...."

"Yeah, I can feel that." Both of the women paused, taking in the silence. "I'm sure you've heard it enough times, but everyone is very much interested in you right now. Clarence House is getting a lot of retweets, and the Instagram picture is very popular."

"How are you?" Gwendoline cut in.

"No one knows who I am."

"Do I detect some sadness because of this?"

"No," Margo said quickly, "absolutely not. I don't mind not being followed."

"Go-Go," Gwendoline said slowly and sincerely, "do you want to break up with me?"

"What?" Margo said clearly outraged. "What would you think? Who would tell you that? Absolutely not! I love you!" She took a deep breath, and when her voice came back, it was weak. "Do you want to break up with me?"

"No." Gwendoline knew she didn't want that. "I just don't want to put you through something that you don't want to go through. Once people know that we have dated, you'll never be free. Even if we break up in the future, you'll forever be known as the girl that dated me. Look at all of Harry's exes. I don't want to put you through that."

"Gwen, stop," Margo commanded. "It would be an honor to be your ex. It would be more of an honor to be your girlfriend, but that is up to you. I love you, Gwen; I don't know how many times I can say it, but I will continue to say it forever. I love you-- every part of you. I know that it is hard to trust that, but I am not going to fuck you over. I am not going to leave you."

"Thank you, Go-Go."

"Now, say it back to me."

"You're much better with words than I am, Go-Go."

"I know, but say it back in your way, Gwen. Expose your heart."

"I love you, Go-Go. I love you with every part of me. Sometimes you infuriate me, but I know that I would do anything for you. I love you. I love you. I love you. I know sometimes I screw up, and you are there-- always. I promise that as long as I am alive, my heart is only ever meant for you."

"Don't go breaking my heart now."

A smile crossed Gwen's face. "Are you going to burst into song?"

"Would you like that?"

"I would love that." Gwendoline ran her fingers through her hair. "There is one thing, Go-Go, and it's completely your choice--"

"Whatever it is, I'm already in."

"You don't even know what it is."

"Am I with you?" Margo asked.

"Yes," Gwen answered.

"Then I'll be there," Margo promised, and she always kept her promises.