6. To Kill a Lover

Hunter offered Naomi a drink- a dark nectar that stung her throat. A sweet taste lingered on her tongue. Behind them, youth danced and laughed over loud music. The melody of the piano was overpowered by the pounding of the drums. The floor shook beneath their feet. And the lighting was dim enough to cast shadows on the faces of the many guests. Naomi didn't recognize anyone but Hunter. She felt alone. A part of her wanted to go back and make things up to Val. Another cup of the liquid sloshed down her throat. The walls moved towards her, vibrating in a slow rhythm. She was about to wander off when Hunter caught her in his sturdy arms.

"Tipsy?" he murmured next to her ear. His hands were groping her waist, pulling her onto him, pressing himself against her lower back.

"No," she slurred.

He kissed her neck. "Let's go upstairs." He started to lead her away from the refreshment table, and through the mass of swaying bodies. She tripped on the stairs and started laughing uncontrollably. The trouble was she couldn't remember what she was laughing at, or why she was on the stairs. Hunter picked her up and carried her to the top floor. She ran a hand along his arm. He had nice muscles, they bulged against the cuts of his shirt. Dark chocolate skin and even darker eyes, they were nothing like Val's. His intimidated. Val's always had a playful look to them. A sweet innocence. She liked that about Val. The only thing on that girl's brain was sports. She smiled to herself.

Hunter pushed the door open to a room. He left the lights off and dropped her on the bed. She didn't know the owner of the house, and thought she was in a rather indecent position. This would be her first time. She wasn't ready to give it away. She placed a hand on his chest and spoke in as strong a voice she could muster, "No."

He begun to undress her. He groped her breast and worked his way down her stomach, leaving a trail of kisses. Naomi squirmed. "Stop," she said again. She pushed his head but it didn't deter him. He was determined to get whatever he wanted this night.

He was about to remove the last of her undergarment when she screamed. Her cries died with the drone of the music. The endless vibrations against her eardrums. She fought him. She punched, kicked, and managed to land a solid blow on his stomach.

He hissed and held her arms down. He shouted at her, "Naomi, calm down! What the hell's your problem?"

"I don't want this." Tears welled in her eyes.

"It will be over soon." He started to remove his clothes as well. Naomi removed his phone from the back pocket of his discarded jeans and dialed Val's number.

Val answered and the tears flowed without restraint. Naomi hiccupped. "Val," she said in a faint voice.

Val was shouting on the other end of the line and Naomi covered one ear to hear. Val said, "Is everything alright? Where are you?"

"I made a mistake." Hunter reached for the phone but she rolled off the bed and dropped on the floor, busting her lip on the wood. She tasted blood.

"I can't hear you, send me your address and I'll come get you."

Naomi said, "I think it was 17 Hills Crescent." The room started to spin and Naomi pressed her eyes closed.

"Our city?"

"Yea."

"I'm on my way."

Hunter fumed. Naomi couldn't see his face in the dark, but imagined his enraged expression. "Are you serious? After teasing and all that shit, you're going to play the victim?"

A vicious pounding travelled throughout Naomi's skull. She bowed her head.

Hunter reached for her shoulder and said gently, "I'm sorry, alright? I didn't mean to scare you."