19. I Am My Sister's Keeper

Juliana had grown used to questions about Val. She had grown used to the confused stares Val got from women and men alike. She was used to girls asking if Val wanted to become a man. Hell, she was even used to girls asking if her older brother was single, but there was a line that people shouldn't cross. Val had as much a right to her privacy as any other. It didn't matter if she had been a tomboy all her life, or if she was the first lesbian to be revealed in their school. What happened to Val was wrong. Juliana thought back to when they were younger. To Val grinning to reveal her missing tooth while standing on the rubber seat of the swing set, her small hands gripping the chain and her black hair fanning around her then rounded face, now it had grown more chiseled, sharper in the way women lusted after. But in the past, Val's appearance was that of an innocent, care-free child.

Did Val's sexuality take that happiness from her?

Why didn't she listen when Juliana told her to ignore other's opinions?

Whydid seeing Val's painful expression hurt her more than she would like to admit? 

Yes, Juliana teased Val. Yes, she hit and kicked Val, but their playful bickering had never injured Val like Delilah had.

Juliana shoved her textbook in her fat handbag and slung the threaded black and gold handles over her shoulder. Her fingers splayed and clenched. She had never seen Val as withdrawn and cold as she had been at breakfast. Val hadn't spoken, she had stirred the cereal but never brought it to her lips. She had worn a cap low that casted shadows over her face. Things had been tense that morning. The night before, mom and dad had fought about whether Val could stay or leave regardless of her sexuality. Mom had said yes, Val could stay, she was their blood. Dad had said no, and Juliana watched him smuggle a pillow and blanket into his study, slamming the door shut behind him.

That morning had been the worst. None had spoken except to mutter a quick goodbye and hurry to school or work.

That silence, that tension had crowded Juliana's brain for most of the day and she found herself unable to focus during class. Her thoughts strayed to either Val, dad or mom. She heaved a lonesome sigh, bumping into someone as she headed to the cafeteria. She saw her friends sitting at their table, laughing, jeering. From the opposite doors, Delilah entered, two comrades at her side. She walked over to where Val was sitting next to Dana. Val's head bowed as she ate the egg sandwich mom had provided them both for lunch despite them being of age to make their own. Delilah stole Val's cap and danced away from Val's grasping hand. Delilah said, "Look who came to school. The freaking lesbian had the nerve to show up when no one wanted to see her."

Delilah received encouraging nods from her two ever-present supporters.

Juliana's friends waiting at the table jerked upright at the outburst, surprised. Sitting near the edge of the desk, a disgruntled Hunter said, "I bet Naomi dumped me because she was gay."

Fellow football player, Cody muttered, "I still think Naomi's hot. Gay or straight, I'm still going to hit on her, but whatever. Let it go, man."

Hunter frowned. "I have let it go. All I'm saying is I bet those two have had a thing going on for a long time, and they probably drew countless other suckers into their mess. I could have dated a chic that actually wanted me instead of one that secretly lusted after her best friend. Imagine what they do when no one's watching."

Cody laughed, glanced over his shoulder and said, "Yeah, Juliana is about to tear your head off, don't look up."

Before Hunter could react, Juliana stomped his toe. "And now I know Naomi never slept with you, otherwise you wouldn't be so jealous," Juliana said dryly. "Take your bitter self somewhere else."