Trouble lays in the darkness

Jack- bay Rocky-Black

-ROCKYS POINT OF VIEW- (Main character)
"Get going". Hearing my fathers command I turn my head and see his head low to the ground on my heels, snorting loudly I buck and start to canter next to my mother. "Come on rocky, don't fall behind rocky". My mothers voice soothing me to run faster next to her I notice my friend, jack running next to his mother. Coming to a safe point I turn my head and see my father fighting off Jacks father, rocky pinning his ears sadly I sigh. "Don't look so blue jack, your father knows how it works. The young ones come too soon". Looking at me I notice Jacks mother sigh also, "just because he's his son doesn't mean it's his fault". Snorting loudly my mother nudges me in front of her, "I get it, your stallion was booted out. I can't help that, he was our leader not just yours. And now you have another foal coming that's Colby's , so get over it". My mother giving one last snort and paw to the ground she starts to walk away, "I'm sorry". My soft whisper no help to the situation I put my head to the ground and walk behind my mother sadly.

"Colby isn't bad son, just... change is weird for us mares". Pinning her ears my mother lays down and starts to roll, pinning my ears I turn my head and see my father trotting down the hill with a victorious look. Noticing the proud bay stallion on the hill standing with no motivation anymore I perk my ears, "let's get a move on, who knows how long this bachelor will keep at it". Looking towards jack he looks at me with perked ears, laughing excitedly he canters towards me. "Change of mood"? Nodding he nips at my withers, "my mom said one day I'll be big and powerful just like my dad".

Snorting happily I nip at his legs and start to run around the herds single file line, bucking at Jacks face I pin my ears and turn around quickly. Grabbing his neck I use my legs to hug his neck a little, him grabbing my neck also I snort and grab his short mane. "Come on boys". Hearing my fathers voice I see him prowling his head low to the ground and coming at us, whinnying happily I run to the front of the herd with jack.

Coming to the beach I notice weird creatures, bright colors on their bodies I pin my ears angrily. "Mom what is this". Flicking her tail in my face I stop and snort, hearing a laugh I look at a smaller creature come towards my legs I pick up my leg and scoot away. Giving a squeak of a whinny out I nip at the little girls arm and trot off with a proud snort, flicking my tail I come to a stop and sniff the ground. The sand getting on my nose I see jack suddenly slide a stop and make sand fly all over me, jumping up I laugh and go into the water. "Be careful boys". Hearing my father I roll my eyes and splash jack with my nose, pushing the water towards him he whinnies happily and shakes his fur.

After a fun few hours in the water we slowly go down the beach where the water and sand meet, the occasional clicking of a camera making everyone's ears perk I snort and hang my head low tiredly. My father raising my rear end with the top of his head I wake up a little but keep my body up tiredly. "We will stop here". Sighing I happily lay down on my side and feel my mothers muzzle on my stomach, "sleep well rocky".

Waking up slowly I notice the dark night still in view, groaning quietly I lay my head back down. Suddenly hearing voices I perk my ears and sit up on my stomach, looking in the darkness I see my Jacks mother and father. Crawling forward I start to hear better at the voices raise.

"You know I'm keeping your son alive, I could've killed him right when I toke over this herd because he's not mine but guess what I didn't do. Just that".

"You're lucky I don't run away and stay with the stallion I'd much rather keep in my life, you have already a son and another one on the way. We get it you stallions can't just accept that two is enough and they'll carry on your genes. Proving a point is pointless".

"We do it to prove we are stallions, we are born stallions for a reason and it's not to make two colts and go".

Standing up fully I pin my ears and snort, their attention adverting to me I whinny loudly. Looking towards the hills and then at jack who stands up, smirking he looks at the hills. Starting a full blown gallop to the hills I hear jack right next to me, going the opposite way of the herd grounds I go into the darker part of the hills. Snorting loudly as I smell something off about this area I slow down to a walk, "What is this place"? Jacks question makes me question it also, seeing bars as tall as me lined up I suddenly smell horses.

"The slaughter house".