Brother under the sun

Staring at the horses who seem worn out and broken I snort, getting closer to the open gate I notice tire tracks. Lifting up my head I turn and see jack staying behind, suddenly his head perks up and he whinnies loudly. Feeling a tight force around my neck I watch jack run towards me in panic, "rocky". Whinnying louder I feel my body slammed against the bars, "Come on". A deep scaring voice enters my brain and I suddenly am frozen, "jack". My whisper causing him to nuzzle my side as best as he can I feel the man drag me by my head to the pasture. "What a lucky catch". Whinnying loudly I bite at the man with anger before seeing the herd running away.

Whinnying towards them I notice they don't stop, pinning my ears I see my mother turn her head along with Jacks mother. Stopping next to each other they look at us and then at each other, looking at the herd getting farther away they start up a gallop to chase after them. "Mom". Snorting angrily I lay down "we were both lost causes to them". Hearing him sigh and lay down next to me, "at least we have each other". His words make me pin my ears but realize maybe we do...

Morning coming too soon I notice large muscular horses at the bars, saddles laud upon their backs I stand up. Snorting angrily I kick at the bars and watch them stand emotionless, "you have a great treat in store for you". A girls voice makes me perk my ears and see a mare all tacked up, "good to hear". Seeing a man grab the mare aggressively he jumps on her carelessly and starts to whistle, "keep an eye on the colts, they might be runners".

You sure as hell i'm going to try and leave, hopefully you know I didn't mean to be in here. Jack standing close to me I sigh and see the horses start to pour out of the pen, "make it hard for them". Jack nods and I notice we're the last ones in the pen, "Come on we don't have all day". Well I do at least...

Whinnying loudly I trot around the pen pretending I don't know where the exit is, "this way you idiots". Whipping at my rump I buck and hit something, hopefully not jack. "Watch your hooves Kilroy". Hearing a deeper voice I spook slightly and leave the pen, following the large horses I pin my ears. "Next stop, auction house". The man yelling makes me perk my ears and look towards him, seeing his smirk tells me that this isn't good...

The bars keeping the crowded people back I feel hands touch me softly as I am slammed against the bars, "rocky you ok"? Looking at jack I nod and he smiles, "we will get out of this". Throwing my head up as a hand touches my nose I snort, "maybe". His innocent laugh makes me pin my ears, "keep that word in your head jack".

Sitting in a separated pen from jack I rest my back leg silently, over hearing people's words saying the savage word slaughter. "Either the slaughter house or torture buddy". Looking at the man at my gate I snort, seeing a familiar figure behind him I notice jack loading into a trailer.... a little girl besides him... "rocky". His loud yell making me look away I sigh, "jack you'll be ok, we will find each other". Looking back towards him the little girl looks at me, pointing at me excitedly the man I suppose her father shakes his head and drag her to the truck.

Many hours in the warm rain I stand in the same spot as I have been since I've gotten here, finally seeing a man at my gate after 2 hours of no one coming to look at me I look at him. His eyes show nothing but danger... "this one, looks like an angry colt... just what I need to win the triple crown". Raising my head high I flick my tail, "don't need to win the auction, he's the last colt here. All the colt buyers have left".

Snorting I shake my head and run towards the gate, biting at the mans hand I watch him rip it away and hold it tightly. "Defiantly the one". Grabbing my halter through the bars I feel my head hit the bars, whinnying I am dragged past the gate once opened and down the aisle. "Get a bit on em". My world becoming a slow unbearable place I stop dead in my tracks, raising my head high I feel my halter get pulled but I ignore it. Breathing heavily I notice the mare that was in the stall next to me, her body barely left with any meat I watch her bones shift as she looks at me.