5. Only Eternity

"Indigo! You need to wake James; he's going to be late for school!"

"Indi! Can you help me with my volcano project?"

"Indi, sweetheart can you please help me change the triplets. And no, you can't use magic; you need to learn how to do it for when you have children. Don't give me that funny look."

"Indigo, I'm telling you one last time if you don't stop stealing my CD I'm not buying you ice cream, it'll be just me and James and your mother, maybe even the triplets."

Everywhere Indi looked, she could see the ghosts of her family. 

The constant shouting, the sounds of laughter and soft whispers when most others were sleeping. To her great hatred, everything was the exact same. Indi wasn't certain what she was hoping to find or how she would have felt if her home was gone by some mystic force. 

The last few days had been horrible; they were spent here, in her home and convincing herself that all she had known was forever lost to her. She'd never grow old, never have a family. She'd never see her brothers grow up and graduate or start families of their own. 

She'd never see her parents' age with pride as their children did all they could to make them proud. She wouldn't even get to attend any of their funerals because she was trapped.

"You know we can go anywhere in this world and you decided to stay home." Kai's dull tone pulled Indi from her head. 

Without sparing him a glance, she lifted her arm and used magic to throw him out onto the front porch. It was only when she heard his groaning did she finally stand from spot on the floor and join him outside.

"We agreed to not go to one another's homes." Indi spoke bitterly. "If you're not good at anything else, at least be good at keeping your word."

Kai propped himself up on his elbows. "Do you hate me? Is that what hate sounds like coming from you?"

He gazed up at her. Her blonde hair was down, rippling in various shades of blonde waves. Her sea green eyes were like a stormy sea with a glint of sunshine fighting to break through. He loved her eyes and how they currently were. 

For all of her hatred and constant tossing him around, he realized very quickly she never really hurt him. He'd get a few bruises but that was about all she did to him. 

Even now, to his knowledge and perhaps her cluelessness, she was wearing one of his blue sweaters. He tilted his head, watching as she closed the door and skipped down the wooden stairs, passing by him.

"Yes!" Indi shouted over her shoulder. She carried on her way, walking into town rather than driving. It wasn't like she had other pass times.

"Well it doesn't feel like you hate me." Kai replied, rolling along on her purple bike. 

"You see, I hated my family to the point I killed four of them. That's hate. What you're doing is not that, it's something weird." He admitted. 

He had always based his emotional response on two people, his twin and her. From what he taught himself, and from what emotion only she seemed to make him feel, he knew she was acting weird. What feeling she did feel was lost to both of them and that was the most frustrating part.

"You said it yourself; we can go anywhere so why are you following me?" Indi scowled, peering down the center of the empty road. Kai easily kept up with her, coasting and occasionally peddling.

Hiraeth ↭ Kai Parkerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें