6. Three Cheers For Five Years

"If you don't keep your eyes on that instruction manual, we are both going to die." Kai's relaxed tone only added fuel to Indi's panicked angry one. 

The two-seat plane was currently spirling toward the ground. Indi had given up on the manual, tossing it at Kai's head but the aloof sociopath had disregarded it. Now, she was scrambling to to remember any spell that would keep them from dying a fiery death again.

"Just, just pull up on the stick!" Indi slapped at the back of his seat. Her eyes were wide and her heart erratic.

Kai released the broken joystick and lifted it up. "I broke it." 

He dropped the broken handle-grip and twisted to peer at her fearful expression. He scowled at the site of her sea green eyes darkening, not from anger but from fear. 

Turning, he gripped the broken stick and jerked backward; it broke off more. He released the pieces making a mental note of not using a rust bucket to try and fly for only the third time.

"Either cast a spell or prepare for death." Kai called, not turning to look at her. His heart acted funny and he only grew angry at the sight of fear in her gaze. 

"Then again, it's not like we actually die." Indi unbuckled her harness and with effort, climbed onto his lap. The ground rushed up to greet them as she was to slow to save their lives.

"I hate planes!" Indi screeched, her body lunging forward as smoke billowed from the destroyed aircraft. 

She stood, brushing off ash and glass shards. Her clothes were singed and splattered with blood. The actual act of dying in a plane crash was often quick, hardly leaving behind a memory to haunt her. That was the only good thing about the blasted aircrafts.

Kai glanced over his shoulder, halting his search for his shoe and any remnant of a shirt. "Then stop flying with me."

It wasn't a solution either would allow but it was one he offered. His blue-gray eyes searched the crash site as a smirk graced his lips. He pivoted, his eyes easily finding her form as she searched for their backpacks she crammed at their feet. 

Rather than speak, he watched her, using magic to put out the flames and get rid of the smoke. She climbed onto the broke wing and dived into the crumpled cockpit. After a moment a two backpacks were tossed onto the ground and she appeared with a triumphant grin. 

Kai headed toward her, ignoring how even after dying in the plane crash, Indigo still looked like a saint. If saints had half burnt sweaters, ash covered hair and no shoes.

"I guess you were right." Kai acknowledged as he knelt by his backpack and ignored the feeling of the magic that protected it. "Casting a protection spell on our things was smart."

"It's only smart as long as those hands of yours don't take the magic." Indi pointed out. 

The anger and fear already fading. She had found, rather quickly, it was best to let go of whatever emotion she felt. It made this life easier and though she was growing further from who she had been, the change wasn't any worse than Kai's change. 

He smiled and joked more often and despite getting them killed more than she would like and the throw away comments of killing the coven, he had easily earned the title friend in her opinion.

Kai rolled his eyes as he pulled a gray shirt over his head. "I'm great. As long as you,-"

His words caught in his throat as he watched with intrigue and parted lips as Indi changed in front of him. She was quick about it but the sight of her smooth ivory skin and the red lace bra she sported had his heart racing.