1.8

Gao Shen and Xiao Yi chatted amicably as they made their way to the restaurant. Surprisingly, conversation between between them came easily - Xiao Yi didn't know if it was because Gao Shen was just a natural conversationalist, or if they just had good chemistry, but either way he was glad their journey hadn't been awkward.

They were seated at a private booth at the back of the restaurant that Gao Shen seemed to be a regular of, and after ordering their meal was quickly served.

"Thank you," Xiao Yi said, almost automatically to the waiter, who immediately became flustered at being addressed to so suddenly, and scampered away after a quick nod.

Xiao Yi looked at the retreating waiter oddly, before recalling from his host body's memories that the rich people of this world were generally quite rude. However, the original Feng Yi was mild mannered and polite, so he wasn't even acting OOC.

When he turned back to his table partner, he realized that Gao Shen was looking at him with a curious expression, and an intensity that left Xiao Yi embarrassed.

"The food is good," Xiao Yi said to distract the man, as he dug into his meal. "I haven't been here before."

"Oh? It's quite famous, I'm surprised you haven't." Gao Shen said, thankfully looking away to eat as well.

"Well, I've only just recently returned from abroad."

"Is that so?" Gao Shen said, not sounding surprised at all. More than likely, he had already had Feng Yi investigated. Gao Shen knowing that he had studied overseas wouldn't have come as a surprise to him. "What made you move back?" Gao Shen asked in a tone that made it seem as if he knew something, more than he was letting on, and it left Xiao Yi feeling nervous.

"Um, family, mostly," Xiao Yi admitted, digging into his host's original memories. The original Feng Yi, knowing he had not much time left to live, had desired to be with the people he loved. It was only bad luck that he had ended up dying early, much sooner in a car accident that Li Shu had staged.

That - in fact, speaking of car accidents... "Do you think Li Shu staged your father's accident?!" Xiao Yi said, as pieces of information began to connect in his mind. Yes, if the original Li Shu had been able to stage an accident for Feng Mei in the original story, surely it wouldn't be too shocking to conclude she could have also staged the accident on Gao Lou's life as well?

"Possibly," Gao Shen said, tactfully ignoring the abrupt topic change. 

Xiao Yi bit his bottom lip in thought. "Your brother... doesn't know about the engagement yet, does he?"

"No, he hasn't visited our father yet. Father is the type of person to want to tell these things face to face." Gao Shen confirmed. "Fortunately for us, he had to attend an emergency meeting out of town, so he will remain ignorant for a while longer. Thus, there is enough time for us to consolidate a plan of action."

"I see.... so he and my sister will probably meet up after he gets back, but he'll definitely visit your father first. And if your father tells him about the engagement, regarding my sister..."

"Once my brother finds out he's engaged, he'll probably break it off with your sister in person."

Again, he bit his lip, chewing on it nervously. Everything was happening so fast... He knew that Li Shu had been reborn, but wasn't she acting a bit too rashly? Still, that was something he could take advantage of, wasn't it? 

"Do you think Li Shu will do something before then?" Xiao Yi asked.

"I don't know her personally. However, the fact that she managed to successfully plot against my father shows not only her intelligence, but also the fact she isn't afraid to take high risks. She won't be holding back against our siblings either. Whether or not we can be certain she'll actually do anything, however..."