1.11

Feng Mei nervously checked her outfit in the mirror for the fifth time.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Her brother, Feng Yi, asked kindly. He was sitting down behind her, on a couch in her dressing room. "The past few days have been so hectic. Not that I'm unhappy, but you're going to be engaged soon - you're certain about this?"

Feng Mei nodded her head and smiled brightly at her brother. "You worry too much. It's sudden, but... I feel a connection to Gao Xi. Even though we haven't known each other long, I really do think... that he's the one for me. "

"Haha, alright. In that case, I'm glad our father and Gao Xi's father ended up agreeing on the marriage proposal."

"Even if dad said no, I'd have done it anyway." She shrugged her shoulders helplessly. Her hair, she noticed, bobbed along with her. She wondered if having it loose had been a good idea. Perhaps she should have tied it up? Regardless, she turned to Xiao Yi, and eyed him slyly. "But I suppose I should thank Gao Shen for convincing them both... or should I thank you for convincing Gao Shen to help me out?"

Her brother blinked. "Eh?"

"You're not good at keeping secrets," Feng Mei teased, her lips quirking upwards. "You've been spending a lot of time with him. Surely more than necessary, if all you wanted to do was have him help me out on this issue. So is there something you aren't telling me? Maybe it's in our blood to like the men from the Gao family."

"Eh? Eh? No way, no way, you're totally wrong!!" He shook his head and crossed his arms in an 'X' shape. Feng Mei laughed as her brother continued to deny her accusations, despite turning a beet red. "Gao Shen definitely doesn't think of me that way. We just - we just had the same goal, coincidentally. You know, we both want our siblings to be happy."

"Brother," Feng Mei sighed. "I want you happy too."

Now it was Feng Yi's turn to shrug helplessly. "In that case, just live a happy life. Anyway, I should probably go and see if everything is running smoothly. I'll see you soon, alright?"

Feng Mei nodded and waved him away, turning once more to the mirror in front of her as her brother left the room.

Alone, now, she once again began to wonder if she really was moving too fast? Sure, she liked Gao Xi, and he was so sweet and kind and considerate, and they had the same sense of humor, and there was definitely chemistry, but...

Feng Mei brushed a stray lock of hair out of her face she shook her head. There was no use having second thoughts now. 

"Yo, Mei Mei, looking good."

Feng Mei's eyes widened in surprise, for when she turned around she came face to face with an unfortunately familiar face. "Li Shu? What are you doing here?"

"What, I can't congratulate my friend on her engagement?" Li Shu asked sarcastically, leaning against a wall. "Considering this was meant to be my engagement, that you stole from me."

"I stole nothing from you!" Feng Mei said, eyes narrowed. "Do I need to call security to have you removed? How were you even able to come in here?"

Li Shu ignored her questions, and instead moved to sit on the couch her brother had been previously occupying. "You must be so happy with yourself," she said idly, casually inspecting her nails. "You and your brother both."

"What do you want?"

"I'm just saying. It must be nice to have a sibling who supports you. I'm an only child, you know." Li Shu said. "You wouldn't know how that feels though. Well, not yet."