11: A Trip To The Mall

The mall wasn't any different from how it had looked the previous year. Meghan kept her arm around Carly as they squeezed through the bustling crowds and toward the source of excited children chattering up ahead. There, in the midst of cotton snow and glowing reindeer decorations, was Santa Claus; seated on a red, cushioned throne chair. Carly immediately brightened at the sight, a childish grin slipping onto her tired face.

Meghan smiled at her daughter's excitement, not daring to look over at Gordon who walked directly beside her. The line of families waiting between the red ropes wasn't as long as Meghan expected. As they slipped into the line, it didn't take long for them to progress closer and closer to Santa Claus. Meghan's parents had told her when she was a little girl that Santa had duplicate helpers who substitute for him at malls when he needs it. She now hoped that that was the real one, or else, they came for nothing.

Not nothing, she chastised herself. Carly's been looking forward to this. She wished she could think the same about Ryder, but his hands shoved deeply into his pockets and gaze lingering anywhere but on the jolly, old man in front of them made it apparent how he felt. A small frown played at his lips. Meghan couldn't help but feel that it was her own fault that Ryder no longer believed in or cared about Christmas.

"So, are we just asking him about the fawns?" Carly asked, eyeing Santa curiously.

"That's the plan, yes," Meghan responded.

"I still don't see why we're doing this," Gordon sighed.

"Because they were floating fawns, Gordon," Meghan hissed. "That's not normal."

They moved forward as the family in front of them excitedly approached Santa. The lady dressed as an elf took their picture before Santa conversed in conversation with the five kids. Meghan fidgeted nervously. She rememberrd when one of her sisters, Ginger, had shoved her over the red rope and into the decorations, breaking some. Meghan had been so frightened that she would be put on the naughty list because of it - especially since Santa had seen the whole display. But she wasn't. However, after Santa heard what she and her siblings wanted for Christmas, they were escorted out by security. She and her sister were grounded for a week.

"He's so smiley," Carly said.

"He's jolly," Gordon told her.

She rolled her eyes. "Wow, you're so smart, Dad."

He smiled, pretending to flip whatever long imaginary hair he had. "Thank you."

Carly giggled, shaking her head. Meghan laughed too, turning to look back at Ryder. He didn't seem amused. On the contrary, he seemed antsy, switching his weight from one leg to another. "You okay, Ryder?"

He met her eyes and gave a stiff nod. "Yeah, I'm good."

The family in front of them was still talking with Santa, the toddler bouncing on his knee. Meghan turned to Gordon, nodding her head at Ryder when he looked. "When are you taking him out for some one-on-one time?"

"What?" he said.

In her imagination, she slapped Gordon. But, in reality, she slipped her hands into her pockets. "Remember? He agreed to do something with you if he was able to stay home from going on that walk with us."

"Oh." Gordon nodded. "I remember. Um, I could do it this week sometime."

"Talk to him about it," Meghan said.

"Right now?"

She nearly groaned. "Whenever you feel you can. I don't care."

He looked over at Ryder again. Oblivious to the conversation, Carly grabbed Meghan's arm excitedly as the family with Santa began moving on. "We're next!"