The Idiot's Lantern

The Doctor, Willow and Rose arrive in the year 1953, just in time for the Queen's coronation. However, something sinister is lurking on a normal suburban street where men in black are taking faceless people from their homes.

***

The TARDIS shifted onto a street next to a brick wall and a tall metal grating. Once it had settled, a young blonde stepped out, wearing a pink 50s style skirt with a petticoat and a blue jacket. Her hair was tied into a neat bun with a pink hairband. "I thought we'd be going for the Vegas era, you know the white flares and the, grr, chest hair."

Another girl popped out a second later, her hair in a high ponytail with a small poof on top. She had a black patterned scarf around her neck and medium-sized hoop earrings. Her black leather jacket made her seem like a biker on top of a yellow 50s dress. "That doesn't sound too appealing, to be honest." She replied.

"You are kidding, aren't you?" The Doctor put his head around the side of the door, his hair styled in a Teddy boy quiff while still wearing his unique suit and converses. "You want to see Elvis, you go for the late fifties. The time before burgers." He went back inside, retrieving something. "When they called him the Pelvis and he still had a waist." Rose giggled with her cousin as they admired each other's outfits. "What's more, you see him in style."

The girls suddenly pulled back upon hearing the sound of a revving engine. Soon enough, the Doctor came out of the TARDIS, riding a dark blue scooter. The girls guffawed in disbelief at the sight of it. He had a white crash helmet on like a real Mod of the 50s. "You going my way, doll?" He said, speaking with an Elvis-style American accent.

"Is there any other way to go, daddy-o?" Rose asked, using an American accent while putting on her pink shades.

Willow stared at her, knowing what she was going to say next and joining in. "Straight from the fridge, man!" They exclaimed in unity.

"Hey, you speak the lingo." He threw Rose a pink helmet and a yellow one to Willow, individually matching the colours of their outfits.

"Oh well, me, mum, Cliff Richard movies every Bank Holiday Monday." explained Rose as the girls climbed on the back of the scooter.

"Ah, Cliff. I knew your mother'd be a Cliff fan." He replied. Once everyone was hanging tight, the Doctor sped off down the street, ignorant of the Union Flags on the houses.

It had been around three months since the Doctor and Willow had become a couple. They'd gone on a few dates in-between their adventures in time and space, even having to fight a Siltheen on one of their romantic evenings. However, this never deterred them. It had been years since the Doctor had pursued love and never thought to, but ever since Willow came into his life, he finally felt like he was ready to move on from his past and start afresh.

Willow enjoyed being the Doctor's girlfriend also because, unlike her last boyfriend, he actually went full out when it came to dates. Though he sometimes didn't understand the term 'romance', the Doctor still tried to do the best he could and she loved him for it.

"Where we off to?" She asked.

"Ed Sullivan TV Studios. Elvis did Hound Dog on one of the shows. There were loads of complaints." The Doctor recalled. "Bit of luck, we'll just catch it."

Rose looked around, a little uncertain of their surroundings. "And that'll be TV studios in, what, New York?"

"That's the one." He pulled up by a red post box as a red London bus drove past at the end of the street. 

"Haha! Digging that New York vibe." joked Rose.

"Well, this could still be New York. I mean, this looks very New York to me. Sort of Londony New York, mind." He bumbled with scepticism.