Belle of the Ball

As the Doctor attempts to piece together the mystery of Reinette, she also wishes to know more about her saviours.

***

"You are in my memories. You walk among them." Reinette spoke as if she were reliving her past but the Doctor was a prominent figure in each one even though he was never there in the first place.

Willow stood aside, attentive to what was happening whilst also checking around for any clockwork people still stalking Reinette.

"If there's anything you don't want me to see, just imagine a door and close it. I won't look." For a moment, he was a little taken aback as Reinette noticeably opened her eyes, staring smugly at him. "Oh, actually there's a door just there. You might want to cl- oh, actually, several." Her eyes fluttered in Willow's direction, surprising her. 

She smiled at her before once again shutting her eyes. "To walk among the memories of another living soul. Do you ever get used to this?"

"I don't make a habit of it." He informed her.

"How can you resist?" She asked.

Nevertheless, he ignored her question and moved along to the specific details of his search. "What age are you?"

"So impertinent a question so early in the conversation." Her eyes were once again exposed, gazing at Willow while on the edge of laughter. "How promising!" Willow grinned, giggling under her breath before Reinette closed her eyes anew.

The Doctor continued, unknown to the badinage the girls were sharing. "No, not my question, theirs. You're twenty-three and for some reason, that means you're not old enough." Abruptly, Reinette gasped as if she had seen something she shouldn't have. "Sorry, you might find old memories reawakening. Side effect."

She grew unexpectedly saddened. "Oh, such a lonely childhood."

"It'll pass." He insisted. "Stay with me."

"Oh, Doctor." Willow's giggles ceased, startled by what Reinette had just said. "So lonely. So very, very alone." She didn't recall telling Reinette either of their names.

"What do you mean, alone? You've never been alone in your life-" The Doctor froze mid-sentence, opening his eyes. "When did you start calling me Doctor?"

Reinette resumed reliving memories in her mind, however, they were not of her own. "Such a lonely little boy. Lonely then and lonelier now." Both Willow and the Doctor were surprised by what she was saying even after she opened her eyes. "How can you bear it?"

He let go of her head, breaking the link between them. The Doctor backed away slightly, stunned. "How did you do that?"

"A door, once opened, can be stepped through in either direction."She explained whilst acknowledging the expressions left upon her new friends' faces. "Oh, Doctor. My lonely Doctor. Dance with me."

The Doctor shook his head. "I can't."

"Dance with me." insisted Reinette.

"This is the night you dance with the King." He told.

"Then how about you dance with Willow." She stated, directing his attention over to her. Willow's eyes widened in disbelief, unable to say anything. 

The Doctor didn't know quite what to say either but he knew that Reinette had seen his thoughts. His thoughts of Willow. "I-I..." She gazed awkwardly at him, expecting the end of his stuttering sentence. "Well, I mean... um, we should probably be getting back to the others."