Chapter 30

Matt's POV:

"Good Morning, am I speaking to Matthew Lynwood?" Someone asks from the other side of the phone.

"Yes, this is he."

"I'm calling from St. Joseph's Hospital. Your mother, Linda Lynwood, was admited early this morning, we were calling to inform you. If you could come down to the hospital, the doctor in charge of your mother's file would be able to explain her case."

"Yes, I'll be there in a few minutes, thank you," I answer with a shaky voice and hang up.

Leo, who has been watching the conversation the whole time, holding my hand as a kind of support, I'm guessing. He probably realised I was nervous from the shaking in my voice to the trmor of my hands.

"Hey, babe what's up?" Leo asks concerned, resting a warm hand against my cheek.

"My- my," I take a deep breath to calm down before continuing. "My mom is inthe hospital."

"What? What happened?"

"I don't know yet. Will you come with me?"

"Yes, of course, you know you don't even have to ask. Let's go," he takes my hand and together we go to his car.

The ride to the hospital was silent, Leo held my han the whole time, only letting go when necessary, which I was glad for. Him holding my hand kept me grounded and somehow more calm, even if just a little bit. That little bit kept me from completely breaking down.

I decided to take the time to call Mrs. Pemberton to inform her of what was going on. She told me she would meet us in the hospital with Chris. How I'm going to explain this to him, I have no idea, but I'm dreading the moment.

When we finally reach the hospital, we make our way to the reception, where they tell us where to go after taking our identification, even though some of the staff know me because my mom is a nurse here and I already knew my way around more or less, so I guess that helped, too.

When I make my way to the right floor, I ask a nurse working there if she has any information on my mom and she goes to the phone on the screteray and calls someone, who I'm guessing will come talk to us and explain everything.

"Excuse me," a man asks, getting my attention. "Are you Matthew Lynwood?"

"Yes, it's me."

"Good Morning, I'm Doctor Michaels, I'm in charge of your mother's case. So your mother was admitted last night, a little after 4 am, someone found her car on the side of the road, she hit a lamp post. The blood results came out and turns out, she was driving under the influence of alcohol, and, reasonbly, that affected her driving. She was ok but we had to put her to sleep so that the first few hours wouldn't be so painful. She didn't have any major injuries, thankfully, two broken ribs, that will heal with time, a broken leg and a concussion. It'll take a few months for her to recover but she'll be fine. You can go in and visit her, we'll discuss the rest, for example, the meds and everything needed for her recovery later if you'd like. She must be almost waking up, but go ahead. Her room number is 145B. Just through there, " the doctor finishes and points us in the right direction of her room.

I hesitate when we get to the door of her room, my hand hovering over the door knob. I don't know why I'm nervous, maybe it's the fact that last time this happened, I received the news that my father had died. 

And even though I know the doctor told me that ita was nothing serious and that she would be ok, the fear is still there. The fact that my mom and I don't have the best relationship at the time, dooesn't erase the fact that I'm terrified to lose her. She used to be a great mom before my dad died and the drinking came. I guess I just always hoped she would go back to being that mom. The mom that Chris needs.