five - spideychelle

hated rewriting this one. idk what happened here.

It was in the little things, Peter had noticed. The little things that MJ did that made her who she was. Like, when she hummed to herself when she'd draw. Or, when she would read her latest novel aloud to Ned and Peter when they annoyed her.

He watched her silently as she stared rather blankly at the thin wooden planks of the top bunk of Peter's bed.

"MJ?"

She didn't acknowledge him, it was as if she never heard him speak at all.

"MJ." He repeated.

"Sorry, what?" She said at last, craning her neck to look at the boy.

"I'm going to have a shower." He trailed off, slightly concerned about her behaviour. He stood from the bed, giving the girl a quick kiss on the forehead before he walked to the bathroom.

As Peter left, MJ let out a heavy sigh. All her problems rested in the fact that she was in love with Peter Parker, and way too scared to tell him. 

 She had come to the realisation the other week, when the two were at dinner with May. It was a Wednesday night. They had school the next morning, with assignments due and exams to sit. Despite this, MJ was happy, unbothered by the pressures of school looming over them.

It was in the way that Peter smiled, the way he laughed. She could see herself with the boy for a very long time. Upon the realisation that she would honestly, genuinely, be happy to spend the rest of her life alongside the boy, she knew she loved him.

The frightening part was that she'd never been in love with anyone, let alone told them that. 

MJ loved Peter Parker, and that's fucking terrifying. 

She heard the squeal of the shower being turned off in the next room. Peter stepped out moments later, a small grin on his face. His hair was wet and probably knotted at the tips. He aggressively dried his hair with a towel, while another one was wrapped precariously around his waist.

"You know, you're actually supposed to dry yourself with the towel." She teased, nodding at the water on his naked chest.

"Movie?" He asked, as he flicked the water from his hair onto her.

"Only if you stop flicking water on me, you fucker." She laughed, wiping the small droplets from her arms and face.

He quickly got dressed and threw himself onto the mattress beside her, opening his laptop. "What do you want to watch tonight?"

"Criminal Minds?" 

He cringed. "Do we have to? I practically live that everyday. That's also not a movie."

She scoffed at him, "Peter, you do not hunt psycho serial killers."

"Close enough."

She laughed at his shrug. "Fine, no Criminal Minds. How about..." She reached over him to scroll through Netflix. "Shameless?"

"That'll do."

She settled back beside him, head resting on his shoulder. Between the constant beating of Peter's heart beside her, and the bright light emanating from the laptop screen, it hadn't been hard for her to slip into sleep.

Peter continued to watch quietly, letting the show play as MJ slept. He tucked her hair securely beside her ear. It wasn't long before his eyes began to droop, and he shut the laptop. The room was plunged into darkness, and he rolled over in the bed.

He didn't know exactly when he fell asleep, but it couldn't have been long  before he was woken up by the girl beside him. He opened one eye tiredly. MJ was tossing and turning in her sleep. Perhaps a nightmare, Peter thought.

He was cautious to wake her up, wondering if she might just settle down on her own. 

It was when the girl began to mumble quietly, and small beads of sweat formed on her forehead, that he started to think he should.

"MJ." he started softly. "Wake up, MJ."

She was ignorant to his attempts to wake her up, simply rolling onto her side uncomfortably. He gripped her shoulder, giving her a small shake.

She groaned quietly as she woke, eyes still clamped shut.

"Hey. Hey, you're okay."

She stayed silent, allowing one of her eyes to meet Peter's. He cocked his head to the side. "How ya doin?"

"What's the time?" She said at last, sitting up in the bed. She reached across him, pinching a glass of water from the bedside table.

"Two, I think." He replied, glancing down at his phone.

She nodded, taking herself to the bathroom without another word.

Peter sat silently, listening to the shower turn on.His own hair was now more than dry, small brunette curls framing his face. He wasn't surprised she wanted to shower after a nightmare, it's what he often did too. 

He left the girl to her own company, he could tell she needed space. 

In the bathroom mirror, MJ stared at her reflection. The deep purple surrounding her eyes made her age years instantly. She thought she looked at least ten years older than she was. She leaned her forehead against the cold tile of the sink. 

She didn't even know why she was so choked up about it. Just tell him, she thought. She was conflicted though. Anyone she had truly loved had left her, her parents included. They weren't exactly a shining example of loving someone. Long ago, she had decided that when she loved someone, they were bound to leave.

She soon emerged from the dark doorway, expecting Peter to be asleep again. Instead, she found him where she had left him, wide awake. he was scrolling through something on his phone, the light illuminating his face. He sat up straighter when he saw her.

"Hey. You okay?"

She took a deep breath, "fine."

He smiled briefly before patting a spot on the mattress, offering her to sit beside him. She settled back into the bed silently.

"Are you breaking up with me?" Peter blurted.

MJ glanced at him with a frown. "What? No! What made you think that?"

He breathed out a sigh of relief. "I don't know. You've just been weird lately."

"Weird how?"

"Quieter. Less like yourself." He shrugged.

"I'm sorry. Just been thinking."

"Please, what is it then?" He asked, reaching for her hand.

"I love you, Peter."

His eyebrows furrowed for a moment, however there was a small smile on his lips. "I love you too."

"You do?"

"I thought you knew that." He said, confusion in his voice. "I'm confused though."

"Why?"

"You still haven't told me what's wrong."

She hesitated. "I just did."

He only stared at her, shaking his head. "I don't get it. You love me? I already knew that."

"What?" 

"What? I thought we both just knew that!"

"Peter!" She backhanded his arm, causing him to flinch back with a loud laugh.

"What the fuck?" He laughed.

"You didn't think to fucking tell me?" She smiled, laughter creeping its way into her voice too.

"I didn't think I had to!"

"Oh my god." She covered her face with her hands, laughing into them.

"Michelle Jones, you know I love you, right?" He teased, pressing his face against hers.

"Don't call me that," she slapped his arm gently, "but I love you too, loser."

so, so short lol sorry