sixteen - spideychelle

rewrite :))

It's known worldwide that everyone has a soulmate. Now, a person's soulmate could be anyone in the world. Anyone in any suburb, of any country, and you had no way to track them down. So how does one know when another is truly their soulmate? 

Well, it's the only other person on the planet with identical scars to your own. When a scar appears on your soulmate's skin, one will appear on yours, and vice versa. It wasn't ideal, and MJ certainly wasn't keen on the whole idea of a scar determining her love life. 

However, that was her life, so she learnt to live with it, as did everyone else. 

She gently closed the door behind her as she stepped into the corridor of her building, not wanting to wake anyone else so early. She rubbed at her eyes tiredly. A quick glance at her phone told her it was 7:01.

A bitter scowl crossed her face as the UNDER MAINTENANCE  sign remained stuck to the closed elevator doors. Her landlord was supposed to have got that fixed. The desperate complaints of the elderly tenants in the building had fallen on ignorant ears, it seemed. 

MJ skipped down the stairwell, brushing her left hand over the railing gently as she walked. At first, she thought the tingling feeling under her sleeve was nothing more than static electricity from the friction of the railing on her hand. 

In the next moment, a familiar dread pooled in her stomach as she realised the tingling was slowly shifting to burning. Her steps slowed as it continued to travel up her arm, almost as if it was lost. She pulled up the sleeve on her jumper slowly, unsure of what she was going to find. 

A single thin white line had been stitched together on her otherwise untouched forearm. She always wondered just what occured for her soulmate to have such interesting scars. MJ hoped to ask them one day when she meets them.

She pulled her sleeve back down, promptly covering up any evidence of her soulmate's rather eventful morning. The moment she stepped into school, the girl felt her curly hair begin to escape from her control, frizzing around the edges. School air, she decided. 

"MJ!"

She looked for the familiar voice calling her name, finding him walking toward her with tremendous purpose. "Ned." She nodded. "Oh, did you see the news this morning? That little kiosk a few blocks away, you know the one? It got robbed."

"Yeah," he said, slightly out of breath. "Looked pretty bad."

"The cops took ages to get there apparently." She pulled her locker open.

"Spider-Man was there though. Or, so I heard anyway." He added on the last bit as an afterthought.

MJ had her head in her locker, slightly distracted as she looked for her biology textbook. "Early start for Spider-Man." She joked.

Ned was quiet for a second. "Did you happen to see Peter this morning by any chance?"

"No, why?" She questioned, finally closing her locker again.

Ned's eyes seemed to widen, like alarms were going off behind them. "No reason."

"Ned." She warned, narrowing her eyes by the slightest margin.

"It's nothing, really."

Concern was beginning to seep into her words. "What's going on with you?" 

"Look, MJ, it's nothing. Just leave it."

Her eyebrows rose in surprise at the boy's bluntness, simply deciding to heed his warning. She nodded silently.

"Ned." A new voice called.