Chapter 4 ~ Loneliness

(Y/n)'s POV

I sigh, making my way to the potions class. The vision made me think that I was alone. There was such a loving feeling and now I just feel... empty. I enter the classroom and tense. I saw the three boys from yesterday.

I completely forgot about what happened. The locket and dream must've distracted me so much. I didn't want to seem suspicious so I just sat in the same place as I did the past class. I try my best to completely ignore them.

The teacher noticed but he didn't comment as he started the lesson. Ashton kept bothering me, distracting me from keeping complete focus. Plus the vision and letter with the locket was on my mind. The boys seemed to notice the locket but didn't comment.

Again we were told to gather around the cauldron and watch. I kept getting distracted, especially when Ashton would poke me. I try my best to focus. I manage to take notes and give some of my attention to scooting away from Ashton.

Soon we were sent back to our seats to do it ourselves. I work on the potion, looking at my notes. I managed to stir it despite Ashton poking me. Once I was done with my potion Ashton started spewing insults in my ear. Making me tear up slightly, but I refused to cry.

When the professor walked around he noticed Ashton being rude and told me to stay after class. Everyone then looked at me like I was in trouble. I just nodded, tense. I watched as everyone left and I just walked to thee professor's desk quietly.

"What's going on between you and that boy, Ashton?" He asked, my body tensed and I try to respond but I could barely say anything. My mind screamed bully, but my mouth just hung ajar, making small noises.

"Another student bullying you is not allowed in the school you know." I frown and look down. I sigh and look at the locket. It suddenly calmed me.

"Yeah... b-but usually it's not counted as bullying unless done more than once..." I comment, quietly. Professor Snape growled and looked at me annoyed.

"Then why didn't you say anything?" He asked. I knew why I didn't say anything, but it's embarrassing to admit. I look down and say part of the truth.

"B-because I'm usually told I'm overreacting if someone is hurting me and I report it..." he looked at me with a raised brow then looks back at his book.

"And What has he done so far?" He asked, not giving any eye contact. I bite my lip.

"B-besides today... he picked on me yesterday and called me a spaz..." I then thought of what also happened the other day. "I-I also saw him mess up another students potion..." The Professor shot me a glare.

"And why wouldn't you tell me this when it happened?!" I tensed, I let out a whimper and speak.

"...B-because I got scared..." I whispered, slight fear in my voice. He rolled his eyes, I'm sure he thought of me as pathetic. I could've had a breakdown right there, but before anything happened, I grabbed me things and quickly left.

I didn't want to ask about the locket to a pissed off professor who's just going to judge me. I curl up, back leaned against the side of the school. I was outside, sitting in the Bright day light, thinking.

I was trembling slightly with bad thoughts filling my head. I take the locket and hold it close to my face, keeping back tears. Suddenly it gave me a warm feeling, like arms wrapping around me while I sat at an open fireplace. Though I suddenly flinch and shot up onto my feet, ready to run.

"No don't go running off again." The professor growled. I was still tense but I move my foot to the other and grip the locket. I wanted to feel comfort again but all I felt was loneliness. It made me frown. "Why did you run off?" With him I had to keep spiraling into a pit of embarrassment.

"I-I got scared..." He scoffed and crossed his arms. I look at him slightly.

"You can't keep using that as an excuse." This time I just got offended. I felt a tear finally leave my eye as I sit back down and curl up. Why wouldn't the locket keep comforting me. He seemed slightly taken aback by me starting to cry. "Why are you crying?" He asked, keeping his voice quiet, saving me from some embarrassment.

"I-I just have really bad anxiety. It's not an excuse..." I sniffle. I grip the locket tighter. Why won't it comfort me?! The blade-like sense of loneliness kept piercing deeper into my heart, and it hurts... a lot.

"Well now that I know that Gryffindor boy didn't do anything I'll have to call him back. But I cant help but notice the locket you're wearing." I put my legs down slightly and look down at the locket piece I held in my palm. "Where and who did you get a locket like... that from?" I couldn't tell if the locket was a good or bad thing. I just knew that he wanted to know.

"I-I'm not sure... I just had a strange dream then when I woke up my owl had a letter for me... when I opened it the locket and a paper fell out." I admit, playing around with the locket. He took a glance at me.

"Did it say who it was from?" I shake my head no. He thought for a second. "Maybe it's from your parents." That made me tense and frown.

"I-I don't know who my parents are... and my adoptive parents don't know how to write a letter." I brush my hair back, now feeling awkward. He raised a brow at me.

"What happened in your... dream?" I give a shrug and let out a shaky sigh.

"Everything was blurry... there were three people in front of me... it sounded like they were begging but I couldn't make out anything being said." I wanted someone to talk to about this. Maybe Professor Snape wasn't the best person but he's making the lonely feeling go away.

"What's the lockets affect on you? Usually it's from someone you love and they have it cause an effect." He commented. I look at him then the locket.

"It makes the loneliness go away..." I whisper, not wanting him to hear this but at the same time wanting him to hear this.

"And why would you ever feel lonely?" He asked. I couldn't tell if that was a compliment or just a question.

"I'm not a person people like... muggle or not people will always be the same, Professor..." I whisper, curling back up, resting my cheek on my knee, looking away from him. My hair draping at the side off my head blocking some of my face. He went silent and soon got up and left, leaving me alone again.

•~Time Skip~•

Earlier I was able to collect myself and went to all my classes. It was now dinner and I was in the Great Hall, listening to Dumbledore talk. I felt a pair of eyes burning into my back. A few pairs of eyes at that. I look to see Ashton and his two friends glaring at me and Snape staring at me.

When food was served I didn't eat. How could I? I felt too self conscious, too alone, too scared to even take a bite of food. So I starved. Instead of eating I wrote in my journal. I spilt my feeling all onto three pages. How could I not?

When everyone was told to leave Dumbledore called me over. I was hesitant seeing Snape was with him, but I go to him and Snape anyways. I stay quiet, waiting for Dumbledore to speak.

"Professor Snape tells me you got a letter from your parents." I look down, rubbing my arm.

"N-not exactly... but yes." I say, looking back up at him. He nods and starts walking, me and the professor following. I kept my distance from both of them, trying to keep myself isolated. They clearly noticed and we stopped which only made me take another step away from them.

"There's no need to distance yourself (Y/n). I know you're feeling conflicted, but you may trust us. You're not overreacting if you're telling the truth." Dumbledore said in a slightly comforting way. I nod and brush my hair back slightly.

"...like the fact I'm abused?" I whisper to Dumbledore, knowing he already knew. Though, I think Snape heard and he didn't say anything from the shock. Dumbledore nodded.

"I hope you realize that your parents didn't want to give you away." He said, I shake my head.

"No... I can't bring myself to realize that..." I brush my fingers against the locket. I just wanted to walk away. Go to sleep then never wake up. Or at least disappear.