Saving You -14-

Chapter 14

                Why did I have to say we were friends?

                Martin was eying her and she could see him trying to figure out a tactful way to ask her what he'd interrupted between her and Declan. He either would, or he wouldn't, but Katelyn was unable to focus on anything other than the expression on Declan's face when she'd said, "we're just friends".

                He'd been so concerned, hugging her with a familiarity she hadn't expected. With Laney bringing up the dreaded R-word (relationships) and the tension that had grown inside her as the minutes had past, it was no wonder him acting like a boyfriend had set her off.

                She'd regretted it the second she said it. He'd shut down, and when he'd backed away she'd felt the loss inside. Martin had provided a well-needed buffer (though if his expression was anything to go by, that relief was going to be fading pretty fast) but she knew she'd have to explain herself to Declan.

                Distracted, not sure exactly which issue she was supposed to be worrying about, she chose to keep quiet.

                Only a couple of minutes passed as Declan examined her house. When he reappeared, there was a hardened look in his eyes that she'd never seen before.

                "This is bad," was all he said, his words directed at Martin. Katelyn straightened, not liking the barely withheld anger laced in the three-word sentence.

                "Worse than bad," Martin agreed.

                Neither spoke, both seeming unsure what more they could say. It was enough to drive Katelyn crazy.

                "What's going on?" She wanted to sound angry but instead the words came out nervous, shaky.

                Declan looked as though he wanted to wrap an arm around her shoulder, she found herself wanting him to, but he put his hands on his hips. But he kept quiet.

                "There's a note," Martin said, realizing the responsibility was falling to him.

                "A note?" Katelyn couldn't imagine a scenario where that was a positive.

                "It says 'she's mine', Katelyn. On your wall," Declan met her eyes. She saw the apology a split second before his words registered.

                "Oh," she said, lamely. She could feel the stiffness enter her bones like a cold hug from an old friend. The way her thoughts clouded to nothing but paranoia was a step out of reality to a past she thought she'd left behind four years ago.

                She's mine. Not you're mine. She's. Had he picked up on that? There were no illusions about who could have done this, there was no doubt in her mind that Ian had come back into her life. She'd known, deep down, there was always a chance something would happen and he'd decide the restraining order didn't apply anymore. That had just been reaffirmed when she'd received the flowers, but like an idiot she'd let herself believe she was wrong.

                She's.

                That one word echoed around her head almost hypnotically. What it meant was making her question everything she'd thought for the past four years. Had Ian ever really left her alone? Or had he let her be lulled into a false sense of security, hiding behind crowds in the big city?

                Because that one word refused to leave her, the implications growing inside her until finally she spoke.

                "That wasn't for me," she said, eyes unfocused.