Saving You -18-

Chapter 18

She hadn't called.

Granted, it had only been a few days, but she hadn't so much as said hi.

Mark had given him updates as requested, mostly just confirming that she was still showing up for work and doing an excellent job, but when asked about Declan she'd shut up and change the subject.

Had he really thought he could give it an entire week? More importantly, why had he been so sure, deep down, that she'd change her mind about their current situation?

Maybe she's just thinking. Or maybe she's waiting for you to call.

Except he'd told her he wouldn't. Hadn't he? He knew he'd been honest with her, told her how he felt and what he wanted. He'd made sure she knew it was on her to decide their relationship, which would in turn require her to make the next move.

So, yes. He'd told her he wouldn't call.

He thought.

It was distracting, not knowing anything. He'd slept like shit since she left. They spent so many nights together over the last month that sleeping alone for more than a single night felt... odd. The bed was too big, the covers not messed up enough from her restlessness throughout the night. He figured, if anything, he should have slept better without her constantly rolling over him or pushing him. But it was worse, somehow. He was a still sleeper, as a whole, and found himself waking every couple of hours in a sweat as the heat accumulated where he attempted to rest.

It was a nightmare.

He was tired, cranky, and quite honestly frustrated.

Martin was no help. Declan had mentioned, in vague terms, what had happened to make her not stay with him anymore. Though Martin had been slightly irritated to realize Declan was trying to really date Katelyn, he'd also been slightly mollified that it was Declan and not someone else. He'd refused, however, to get in the middle and decided instead to adopt the same "ignore and change" attitude Katelyn had.

It was Friday morning, at the type of early hour that normally required overdoses of caffeine to function.

He knocked on Martin's office door, having just arrived to replace the overnight shift. "Hey, got anything for me?"

"Follow up interviews from the cat stabbings. Lady at the house on the corner of the first vic's neighborhood remembered seeing a, hold on," Martin pulled out a piece of paper. "'a white guy with athletic build and short, dark hair jogging down the street'."

"So, the definition of average?"

"Pretty much."

Great. "Anything else?"

Something about the way he paused made Declan stop, lean against the doorframe. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah. But," he folded his hands under his chin. "Katelyn's moving back to her place today. The mattress was delivered last night, apparently, and she's looking forward to being back in her own space."

And she didn't tell me any of this.

"Right. Okay."

Neither of them moved. Then Martin sighed. "Look, I get that you want to talk to her. And I really, really wanted to avoid being involved in this, but she's not looking too happy either so," he reached into a draw and held out his hand. "I'm trusting you with this. It's a spare key to her place. If she decides she wants nothing to do with you, I better get that back uncopied."