Saving You -22-

Chapter 22

Reality came back to her slowly.

There was what sounded like a phone ringing somewhere in the distance, and her head felt like it had gone a few rounds against a wall and lost. Her stomach seemed to be revolting the idea of doing anything but sitting and breathing.

She tried to lift her hand to touch her forehead - maybe she'd gotten sick? - but the movement was restricted.

Awareness came to her piece by piece, bringing with it flashes of memories.

Arguing with Declan, getting a lecture from Laney, knocking on Hannah's front door, and then...

Nothing.

Okay, no need to panic yet. Maybe I just drank too much. I must have crashed on Hannah's couch, and my arm must have fallen asleep.

But then why couldn't she remember anything? Surely she'd recall meeting Hannah's boyfriend?

Katelyn again tried to raise her hand. It felt... bound. She wiggled her other arm and found the same issue.

Bit by bit, she opened her eyes. It was dark in the room, with the barest amount of light, for which she was thankful. If it had been too light, she had a feeling she may have thrown up.

As it was, she was already struggling to keep it together. She was definitely not in Hannah's living room. In fact, she had no idea where she was.

Come on, think! What. Happened?

She ran it through again, the argument and the drive and the walk to Hannah's door.

I'd said something, Katelyn recalled. Hannah opened the door, no, someone opened the door, and...

She remembered the flash of pain. It had been tiny, barely noticeable, but a sensation she remembered.

A needle.

Someone must have broken into Hannah's and drugged Katelyn with something. Was it Ian? Had he taken Hannah too?

"H-Hannah?" She called, her voice weak with disuse. There was a vague outline to her left, but whether it was real or her imagination, she couldn't tell.

Katelyn couldn't see a thing. Each passing second the nausea eased, but the almost violent pounding against her skull kept encouraging her to shut her eyes.

"Are you awake now, Katie?"

The fear filled her quickly, sparking a flight or fight response she couldn't use. "Ian?" She asked, quietly.

He laughed, and she closed her eyes as though hoping it could protect her from the sound.

"I do love it when you say my name. But how about we shed a little more light here, hmm?"

The switch was flicked, illuminating the room suddenly with a harsh fluorescent glow.

"Too bright," Katelyn muttered, turning her head away from it. Even with her eyes shut, the light was blinding.

God, I'd do anything for an Aspirin or five right now.

"You must have really hit your head. I'm sorry for that, Katie. I should have caught you as you fell. I guess I didn't realize how fast this stuff would take effect." She heard his footsteps drawing closer. "Still, it only kept you out for a couple of hours, which gives us more time to catch up. I do wish you hadn't been hurt. That was never my intention."

She felt his hand brush against a spot above her eyebrow. The flash of agony had her crying out.

"Truly, this is not how I imagined our reunion. I thought I'd at least have a second to explain to you what would happen. You did hit the door rather hard."