03; dreams, nightmares

Annie was walking down a deserted city street in the middle of the night, her legs cold from the dress she was wearing and fatigue was nipping at her heels as she trekked. There was no one around, and she felt a panic begin to bubble and boil in her gut as she tried to accelerate her walk into a run. The street lights felt too dim, casting shadows that beckoned like black pools of unknown fears. She broke into a sprint, her legs aching as she pushed them as hard as they could go. Her dress hiked up her slender legs and a fire began to burn the edges of her soul throughout her body.

Out of nowhere, she made contact with a force that slammed her flat onto her back, the wind knocked out of her lungs and the pavement scraping her palms as she tried to brace herself. She let out a yelp as her body hit the pavement, and she could feel blood pool on her palms. She looked down at the oozing ruby red and gasped in pain.

When she looked up from her hands, her eyes were glued to a creature kneeling in front of her. He watched with intense perplexity through eyes that were entirely black, much like the shadows she had been running from. His eyes were glossed over in a dull rage and his skin was a inhumanly gray color.

It was Emmett, from the bar she had visited a few days before. A ripple of fear shot through her spine as he reached forward, his index finger grazing the side of her cheek. She tried to pull herself back, out of his grasp and away from this place, but her body felt rigid, unable to escape.

A quiet whimper escaped her lips as he moved closer,  and she closed her eyes tightly. She willed for whatever was happening to stop, but it didn't.

She felt his hand on her chin, lifting her head up as he continued to study her. She could feel every muscle in her body coiled, wound so tight that she couldn't help her shaking. He suddenly dropped his hand and she opened her eyes wildly, only to see Emmett go flying backwards, disappearing into the shadows, the inky abyss. He was gone so fast. She whipped around, able to move her muscles again and she noticed a figure, his bright red eyes the only thing visible in the darkness. However, she blinked and he was gone, leaving her alone in the street.

She sat up in bed, her ragged breathing and sweaty forehead the main reason she decided to get out of bed and walk to the bathroom. She gasped when she turned on the light, her eyes catching a glimpse of her hands that were scraped and bloody. She tried to rinse off the blood, her hands shaking with fear, but she couldn't focus on what she was doing. Her vision was glossy with what she didn't realize were tears.

She sat on her bed until the sun tinged the wall by the window with a strong orange glow. She was comforted by the light, knowing the vast contrast it was to the nightmares that controlled her sleep. She sauntered down the hall and back into her bathroom, hopping in the shower and washing the night off of her skin. The hot water made her skin red and it felt as if she was boiling the terror off her skin.

She got ready for the day and grabbed breakfast on the way out. Kaleb was likely still sound asleep, his classes kept in the afternoon for peaceful mornings full of blissful sleep. Annie threw on some gloves and a scarf, hoping she could hide her bruised palms while also looking fashionable for the cold weather.

She arrived on campus so early, there were only a few people in the parking lot. She found a spot almost directly in front of the library, and pulled out her phone to call Molly.

She picked up on the third ring, "hey Annie, why're you calling me so early." She grumbled, likely awake but barely.

"Just trying to pass the time while I wait in the lot." Annie chirped back.

She heard an audible gasp, "you're already on campus?"

Annie smirked, "yeah."

She could almost hear her friend roll her eyes in disgust, "well good for you, but don't expect me there for like, another hour."