ICU Part 5

Jungkook has only been missing for almost 24 hours but he might as well have been missing for forever to BTS. He had basically been in a coma since his admission to the hospital related to the concussion he sustained when he was beaten. When Jimin was having his dream of seeing Jungkook, Jungkook became restless in his bed. The I.C.U nurses became concerned for him as he started to thrash about. One of the nurses gave him 1mg of Ativan IV push and he began to calm back down and rest more peacefully. They were all so curious about who this young man with the muscular body was in their unit. They don't normally get patients who are obviously so physically fit. They were also heartbroken that someone could cause such harm to someone who otherwise appeared to be so incredibly beautiful. They didn't know his name but they could tell he was Asian. Most patients that come into hospitals with no name are "John Does" or "Jane Does". Because he was Asian they decided to call him "Jung" Doe. Oh, how close they were and didn't even know it.

There was one nurse who came in to check on him during his stay there. Jungkook couldn't see her but he could hear her. He didn't know why he should know her but there was a familiarity to her. He could hear two nurses talking about giving him the "Jung" name. It felt uncomfortable to him. He couldn't tell them that but it was like it wasn't right. When one of the nurses left the other that felt more familiar remained. She introduced herself to Jungkook like he was awake and able to talk. Nurses know that patients in comas can often hear but are unable to respond and she was betting on that for Jung.

"Hi, Jung. I'm Karen. I work here in the hospital on 3-South. I'm a nurse. I'm the nurse that found you. You poor young man. I'm so sorry someone did this to you. I wish you could talk and tell us who you are. I'm sure you will soon. I'm sure there are people out there that are missing you and they will find you. I used to have a son who was about your age. He was such a handsome boy. He was the light of my life but sometimes lights get extinguished to early. He had brain cancer and I couldn't do anything for him. I hope I can help you. Do you mind if I just sit here with you and hold your hand? You must need some comfort. I can't image the place you are in right now and not feel lonely being there."

In his sleep Jungkook looked like he was dreaming. He kept mouthing something but Karen couldn't make out what it was he was trying to say. She held his hand in hers and he lightly squeezed it.

"Jung! Do you feel my hand? Are you waking up Jung?" Then he stopped mouthing whatever it was he was trying to say and his hand relaxed. She could have sworn he was trying to say something like "Jim, Jin or Chim" but she wasn't sure. "Well Jung I have to go back to work. I'll check on you again. Rest easy young man. We will get you home soon."

Just as she was walking out two detectives came into the unit asking about the young boy. She stopped a moment to listen to their conversation because RN doesn't mean Registered Nurse it means "Really Nosy". They were asking if they could speak with the boy but the nurse told them he still hadn't awaken yet. Then one of the officers asked if the nurse that found him worked on this floor.

"No, but you're in luck. This is her standing right here. Karen, I think these gentlemen wish to speak to you." The nurse walked away to attend to other unit business.

"Hi, I'm Karen. I'm a nurse that works on 3-South but I did find this young boy on 11th and Fig. What can I help you with? Here let's go over her to a conference room." She escorted the officers to the small room where most of the time bad news is delivered to families.

"Hi! I'm Detective Bo Soojun and this is my partner Officer Li Wang. We wanted to ask you some questions regarding the boy you found on the road. Can you tell us what happened?"

"I was on my way to work. I think it was a little after 5:00a.m. I was going to Starbucks for my morning coffee and I saw this young boy staggering down the street. Most of the time I don't pay it much mind but something was different about him. Just as I was passing him I notice he looked up to the sky and just fell right to the ground. I stopped my car, got him up and into it and then drove him here. He didn't speak much. He kept mouthing something but I couldn't tell what it was. It didn't sound English. I figure it must have been Chinese, Korean, or Japanese since we are surrounded by ChinaTown, KoreaTown and JapanTown. I mean KoreaTown is less than 2 miles away. Anyway, I got him to E.R. and this is where he has been since. He seems like he is a sweet boy. Young and probably very handsome but its hard to tell with the beating he took. I come down and talk to him so he doesn't feel alone in here. I guess you guys will help him find his family? He didn't have any ID, just some kind of reader card. I figured it looked like the kind you use at hotels to get in your room but there wasn't anything on it to identify the hotel and there are so many around here. Well, anyway that's all I can tell you about him.

"Do you remember which direction he was going down 11th?" asked Detective Bo.

"Oh, yeah...east." said Karen.

"Sooo, like he was coming from the Staple Center?" asked Detective Li.

"Well that's definitely possible but he was several blocks east of there when I found him." she said.

"Well thank you for your time...Miss Karen...? Detective Bo.

"Karen Markum. M-A-R-K-U-M...Markum. I work on 3-South. If you need anything else let me know." she said.

"Well Ms. Markum you've been helpful. Here is my card and if you think of anything else that can help us identify the boy and get him back home you give me a call. Won't you?" said Detective Li.

"Oh, most definitely. He sort of reminds me of my son. He had dark hair and was an absolute fitness nut." she said.

"Well thank you again." Both the officers walk off the floor. As they are walking off Detective Bo says..." Remind me when I'm sick and in the hospital to have a nurse like her. She was so pleasant and cheerful. I always wind up with Nurse Ratchett from 'One Flew Over the CooCoo's Nest. Bitches that want to inflict as much pain as possible before you're discharged. She sounds like she really cares." said Detective Bo.

"Yeah, no shit! Right?"  said Detective Li.