I don't know? I don't speak Asian? Part 7

Jungkook had been in ICU now for 3 days in a coma. Yesterday, they started to wean him off some of the medications that were helping to reduce the swelling in his brain as a follow up CT revealed the swelling had dramatically decreased. This treatment is lovingly called a "sedation vacation." Jungkook was having moments where he would respond to touch, like "squeeze my fingers Jung." He could do it lightly but enough for the nurse to know he was responding appropriately. They could go in at times and see he was in active REM (Rapid Eye Movement) state of sleep. This generally indicates that an individual is in a deep level of sleep conducive to dreams. Then at times they would go in and find him mouthing words but his eyes did not open. His swelling had reduced and some of the bruising was starting to change color but it was only 3 days since the beating. His regular ICU nurse Tara was working this day and walked in on him trying to speak.

"Jung? Can you hear me? Squeeze my fingers if you hear me?" A gentle squeeze came from his left hand. "Good! Good!" He was still mouthing something. She leaned her head in to see if she could hear what he was trying to say but all she heard was...

"Ji-, Ji- " but she didn't understand what it was he was trying to say.

Later on, during her shift she noticed Jungkook had gone into a deep state of sleep and appeared to be dreaming. It was fitful and agitated. She became concerned about him and got 1mg of Ativan ready if he became too agitated. She walked into his room and he was sitting straight up in bed looking straight ahead with his eyes open and started to scream...

"Jwimin-ssi! Jwimin-ssi!" Then he fell backwards and closed his eyes and relaxed. She didn't have to give him the Ativan.

Tara had seen it all when it came to brain injury patients in her 15 years as an ICU nurse, so seeing this reaction was not unusual nor necessarily unexpected. She walked back out to the nurse's station and set the Ativan in her cart in case she needed it later. A new nurse from another hospital, named Mai, came into the station as she was putting the med in away.

"So, your patient didn't need it after all?" Mai asks.

"Nah, it was just an episode. I walk in and he's sitting straight up in bed, eyes wide open and screams 'kimchi, kimchi'. What the hell is that?" Tara snorts. 

"First off, kimchi is a fermented cabbage dish popular in the Korean culture. Second, are you sure that's what he said?" asks Mai

"How the hell should I know? I don't speak Asian."  Tara says snarkily

Mai shakes her head at the obvious insult and as she's walking away says...

"Asian is not a language. It's a race. Thanks for the insult."

"Whatever!" She goes back in and checks on Jungkook again. He is resting peacefully. She cleans him up gently trying not to cause pain to what is obviously painful injuries. This is the first time she's given him a bed bath since he came into the hospital and he is in need of some TLC. 

Tara brings in all the supplies she will need to get him clean...towels, wash clothes, toothbrush, comb, soap and a pail of warm water. She works from toe to head because it allows the patient to keep parts of their body covered to keep warm. Working from one limb to the other. She gently takes the blanket on his left leg and pulls it back only revealing that leg. Tucking the blanket under the other leg, up around the groin and hip. Maintaining as much of his dignity as possible. She has the cloth and soap and towels ready and begins to clean his leg. She marvels at how muscular it is. She wonders what he does that he should have such nice thick legs...athlete of some kind she guesses. She finishes the left side covers his leg up and moves to the right side. Again, marveling at just how muscular both of his legs are. Does he play football for one of the colleges? He could be just another muscle-head too. One of those types of guys that pumps iron at Venice. Moving up his body, she removes his hospital gown on the right side and is absolutely stunned. She has heard of six and eight-packs but she has never actually seen a set and damn if this boy didn't have a serious six pack. "How the hell did he get beaten if he looks like this?" She askes herself because she is looking at the physique of someone who should have been able to take care of himself in any bar-fight. She notices that he is starting to shiver which means he must be getting a bit cold. She stops marveling at his body and finishes up. She combs his beautiful, thick dark brown hair. She tries to help brush his teeth but each time she tries to insert the toothbrush he closes his lips and won't open them. She notices that he has such a pretty set of lips and slyly thinks to herself "wonder what it would be like to kiss those lips." She doesn't know Jungkook's actual age but they believe he is between 18-25. She's 36. She wouldn't be robbing the cradle too much...she laughs to herself. After giving Jungkook his bath she admires him and realizes that "DAMN" this kid is really pretty hot looking. She knows she can admire the artwork but she can't touch it. She thinks to herself if he was a statue he would be David by Michaelangelo. They still haven't figured out who he really is and she hopes for him they do soon.  As Tara comes out of the room, Karen comes down to visit.

"Hey Tara, how's my boy doing today?" She has a smile on her face.

"Well you will be pleased to know he is still responding to touch. He has been mouthing something that sounds like "Ji- ". Not sure what that is. Ooooh! He sat up in bed today and yelled "Kimchi, Kimchi", closed his eyes and went back to sleep. Mai says "Kimchi" is a Korean dish. I guess he misses having kimchi. We haven't heard anything from L.A.P.D so we still don't know who he is and by the way, he's YOUR boy now?" She finishes sounding almost out of breath.

Karen giggles... "Well, my word! Productive! Sounds so positive. Mind if I go in and visit a bit?"

"Nah, go right ahead. I just gave him a bed-bath and boy does he look good. I mean he REALLY looks good." says Tara.

"You hittin' on the patients Tara?" Karen asks.

"Nah, that would be unethical but I can appreciate the artwork though." She chirps.

Karen goes into Jungkook's room and notices that he really is such a handsome boy and how much his slender features remind her of her Tyler. Tyler had dark hair and was physically fit. He was an avid rock climber and slack-liner. Nothing that didn't give her chills just thinking about it. He was just about this boys age when he passed away. A twinge of sadness touches her heart and she fights a tear back.

"Hi Jung! It's Karen again. I hope you don't mind I come and visit you. You really remind me of my son Tyler. I miss him so much. He was such a handsome boy like you. I think you would have liked him. He was an active person. He loved rock climbing and something called slack-lining. It's kind of like tight rope walking but like a ba-zillion times more dangerous. He was smart and loved to travel. He used to go to places to climb I only dreamed of visiting. He died two years ago. I think I mentioned he had brain cancer. Well I don't want to burden you with my sadness. Tara cleaned you up so well and you look so handsome today. Your hair is so beautiful and such a lovely shade of brown. Your bruises are slowly fading and you are healing nicely. I hope you wake up soon and tell us who you really are. I'd love to meet the real you. I'd love to meet your family too."

At the mention of family, Jungkook squeezes Karen's hand tightly. Tighter then he has before. He starts to mouth words again but this time there is a little more force in the breath that she can actually kind of make out what he is trying to say...

"Chim chim. Chim chim. Chim chim." He keeps repeating while squeezing her fingers. Then he relaxes and stops and goes back to his deep sleep.

"Oh Jung, I hope I can figure out who or what a Chim chim is to you. Well rest up sweet boy and I will look in on you later. I don't work tomorrow but I'll be back on Saturday. I'll come and talk with you then. Karen leans in and gives Jungkook a gentle peck on the cheek and exits the room.