Chapter Five: Recovering and Operations

Amelia smiled relieved as she hugged Alyssa, the brunette winced softly as she moved to make herself more comfortable; she was still recovering from surgery and still tender where she’d had her stitches.

“How are you feeling?” Amelia asked as she cooed over her eldest daughter, she had been terrified when she had learnt that Alyssa had been rushed down to surgery after having Viola.

Fernando chuckled from his seat next to the hospital bed, the boys had taken it in turns to be at either Alyssa’s or Viola’s side so that one of them could rest.

“I’m fine Madre… I’ve been through worse,” Alyssa reassured her mother, who frowned; it was clear that she was referring to the time that Rico had put her in hospital, something no one liked to talk about.

Amelia glanced at David, they knew how hard the last few days had been on the family; Viola was due to go down to surgery in a couple of hours to have her heart fixed and they were all on edge.

Fernando shifted as he stretched making Amelia frown, she had tried everything to talk the boys into all going home and resting together but they refused in case something happened to Alyssa or Viola.

“How is training Fernando?” Amelia inquired softly; she was all too aware that he and the others would be leaving soon for the World Cup in Brazil, while Alyssa would remain in Spain with the children.

It wasn’t an easy situation and it was only going to get harder from here; Alyssa was going to need all the support that she could get while they were gone.

Fernando frowned at her words, he was only to aware that in less than a week he was due to fly to Brazil for the World Cup and that meant that Alyssa would be alone in Spain.

Amelia and David were due to go away on holiday with Adelaide, they would be leaving the day after the boys left and wouldn’t be back for a fortnight.

“Training is fine,” Fernando commented carefully, he only attended when he had to; Vicente understood that Alyssa and Viola needed the boys at the hospital and the rest of the national team would make visits when they could.

Amelia nodded, she felt guilty but she had to ask about who was going to keep an eye on Alyssa and the children while they were away.

“Madre… I’ll be fine by the time they leave,” Alyssa said knowing what was on her mind, and as much as she loved her parents; she didn’t want them to worry, she was sure that Iker’s parents or Fernando’s would keep her company.

The two families were close with her and were more than willing to help her out while the footballers were away; it was only Paqui that still wouldn’t have anything to do with her.

***

Iker smiled down at Viola as he held her in his arms, she seemed so small and it scared him that she was having such an operation; he was worried that she wouldn’t make it through.

Iker had taken it upon himself to look after her while Alyssa recovered from her own operation, he knew that his wife would give anything to be sure that their little girl was okay.

“I need you to be strong Viola… me and your Madre love you very much,” Iker said softly as Sergio walked into the room, the Sevillian smiled at the sight of Iker with Viola; it was something that he was still getting used to.

“She’ll be okay Iker… if she’s anything like her Madre then she’ll survive this,” Sergio said making Iker smile at the mention of his wife; he didn't know what he would have done without her in the last four years.

Iker looked down at Viola, it was clear that she was breathless and that the sooner the surgery took place the better for his daughter; he knew that a nurse would be here soon to take her down to the operating theatre.

A quiet knock at the door made Iker and Sergio look at it as a nurse entered and offered them a small smile as her eyes glanced over the two famous footballers; all the staff had been sworn to secrecy if they came into contact with Iker, Fernando or Sergio.

They didn't want the press learning anything about them or Alyssa and the children; none of them wanted to risk the media circus that would become their life if they did.

“I’m sorry Mr. Casillas… but we need to take her down to surgery now,” the nurse said making Iker swallow, he had been allotted some time to hold his daughter before she had her operation.

Sergio offered Iker a reassuring smile as the older footballer pressed a small kiss to Viola’s head then he handed her over to the nurse, who smiled at him before she left to take Viola for her operation.

“Come on Iker… Alyssa’s been asking for you,” Sergio murmured leading his husband from the now empty room; he knew how concerned Alyssa had been when she had been informed that something was wrong with Viola.

It had taken a lot for her husbands’ to convince her to stay in her hospital bed to recover; she had wanted to be there for her daughter and had yet to meet her.

***

The next two hours seemed to drag and the Casillas-Torres-Ramos family felt like time couldn't have gone slower; Alyssa watched as her husbands’ tried to distract themselves from the wait they were facing.

“Do you think she’s okay?” Alyssa asked softly making her husbands’ pause as they looked at her; they kept forgetting that she was the only one of them that hadn’t seen Viola yet.

It made the footballers feel a little guilty that they’d had time to get to know the little girl but Alyssa hadn’t.

Alyssa hadn’t been well enough to see Viola until earlier that morning but the doctors didn't want Alyssa to get distressed or rip out her stitches if she were to see the infant or if Viola didn't make it.

It was at that moment that the nurse from earlier walked into the room, she smiled at the four who quickly stared at her wanting answers.

“Well? How did it go? Is she OK? Can I see her now?” they asked making the nurse chuckle as she nodded and closed the door behind her.

Iker and Alyssa stared at her waiting to hear what she had to tell them about their daughter and how the operation to repair her heart had gone.

“The operation went well… Viola is absolutely fine. We’ve moved her back into her private room,” the nurse told them making Iker and Alyssa sigh in relief that their little girl was going to be okay; she had made it through the operation.

“Now she’s on a ventilator tube… it’s to help her breathe and give her body a bit of a rest. Don’t worry, as soon she’s ready we’ll remove it,” the nurse explained to them softly making Iker nod as he sat down relieved; he couldn't believe that his little girl had made it.

Alyssa watched as her other two husbands thanked the nurse, they all knew that the worst of it was over and it would take time for Viola to recover but she was slowly getting better and that’s all that matter.

“She’s going to be okay,” Alyssa said softly with a small smile making Iker nod as he kissed her softly, he was glad that things were starting to look up for them at last; he didn't know what he would have done if they would have been given bad news.