Chapter Twenty-Three: Eye of the Media Storm

Fernando sighed as he turned off the television in the week since the reveal of his marriage; the media had taken off into a frenzy, so much so that it was now impossible for them to leave their home.

The trip back to Madrid from Brazil had been a nightmare and the family were relieved to be at home, they had missed the celebrations for the national team to just come home with the children.

Vicente had insisted on it and was handling the problem with Maria, she was in a lot of trouble and Rico had disappeared after the final without her.

“It’ll be okay,” Iker murmured as he wrapped his arms around Fernando’s waist; it had surprised them that they actually had support from a few people and their team-mates speaking up about how it didn't matter that they were in a polygamous marriage.

Of course, the revelation had received a lot of negative viewing and Sergio’s mother seemed to be at the forefront making things even worse by speaking out against Alyssa.

“How is Alyssa?” Fernando asked concerned for their wife, she seemed to have received the worst of the media back-lash with people calling her horrible things and saying that she was using the three footballers.

“Coping as best as she can… Sergio’s with her,” Iker said softly, Sergio was furious with his mother for speaking with the press and for lying to them about things that she knew wasn’t true; it was clear he would never forgive her for this.

Fernando looked at Iker, he wondered if they’d done the right thing by telling the world about their way of life; it seemed to have brought nothing but pain to them.

“It’ll be okay… we know not to let them win,” Iker said as he held Fernando close, there were some harsh slurs going around but all of their close friends and team-mates were stepping up to offer the family support.

“I’m scared, what if I lose any of you?” Fernando whimpered making Iker hold him close, he knew what his husband was talking about; he wasn’t going to let anyone destroy what they had, it wasn’t going to happen.

“You won’t…” Alyssa said making the two footballers look at her, she offered them a small smile as she moved to sit next to them on the couch.

Alyssa had just finished setting Viola down for bed and had heard what had been said, she hated that they were being trapped in their own home like criminals when they had done nothing wrong.

“They can’t make us do anything we don’t want to… I’m not going anywhere,” Alyssa said shaking her head making Fernando smile at her softly before he pulled her into a hug and held her close, while Iker watched them as Sergio appeared.

Sergio licked his lips as he moved to sit on the arm of the chair; if they didn't do something that this wasn’t going to go away, they needed people to understand their way of life.

“I was thinking… how about we go on holiday?” Iker said looking around the room, he could see that they all needed one and a private holiday away could be what they needed right now.

***

Paqui Ramos pursed her lips as her husband stared at her in shock of what she had done, over the last four years while everyone else had adjusted to the marriage of Alyssa, Iker, Fernando and Sergio and understood that they were happy.

Paqui had refused to accept that this was her son’s life, she refused to be involved when she’d been blessed with a grandson; however her husband had never expected her to do this.

“You spoke with the press?” José María said horrified that she would risk pushing Sergio further away, he knew how much his son loved Alyssa and by saying such horrible things about the mother of her grandson, it was only going to make things worse.