Chapter Ten: Spain vs. Australia

Alyssa balanced Lucas on her hip as she settled Viola into her comfortable baby chair for the match while Nora had already settled herself on the couch.

They were preparing to watch the Spain vs. Australia, so that they could support Iker, Fernando and Sergio; with the children each wearing their father's jersey in support.

Spain had lost five-one to the Netherlands in the last match and needed to win this match against Australia to qualify for the next round.

"Mama... when will we see Papa again?" Nora asked as Alyssa set Lucas down on the couch, the brunette smiled at her step-daughter as she made sure that Viola was warm enough before she sat down.

"Soon... if Viola's well enough we might fly out and see them," Alyssa said making Nora smile as she moved to check on her little sister, who stared up at Nora with big brown eyes.

Alyssa watched her two daughters for a moment as a smile formed on her face; she knew that her husbands' would be surprised if they were able to travel to Brazil to see them.

"Get well soon Viola," Nora said while Lucas looked at his older sister puzzled before he climbed down from the couch and looked at his baby sister.

"Lala..." Lucas said making Alyssa smile, it had been his nickname for Viola since she had been born three weeks earlier; the brunette thought it was sweet since he couldn't quite say Viola.

"Mama, Lala ill?" the seventeen month old asked concerned making his mother look at him and smile sweetly; the brunette pulled her son into her arms and cuddled him.

"Lala... was born a little early and she wasn't very well, so the doctor's want to keep an eye on her until she's better," Alyssa explained gently, she didn't want to upset her children when Viola was doing so well after her operation.

Lucas stared at his mother for a moment before he looked down at his baby sister, before the sound of the Spanish National Anthem filled the air; Nora squealed and clapped her hands as she spotted Fernando on the television.

"Papa," Lucas said as he clapped his hands as the camera moved along the row of players; Alyssa smiled as she saw each of her husbands', she realised now how much she missed them and her behaviour hadn't made things easy for any of them.

"Doesn't Iker look handsome in his uniform?" Carmen asked as she sat down in one of the other couches that were in the large living room; Alyssa nodded in agreement as she watched Iker shake hands with the referees and Mile Jedinak.

***

The first half of the match passed quickly with David Villa scoring a goal before the whistle blew; Alyssa watched as her husband's played, they would be completely focused on the match right now.

"Yay Papa," Nora cried making Alyssa smile as she watched her husband as the second goal for Spain in the sixty-ninth minute; they watched him celebrate with his team-mates.

Alyssa smiled as she watched Nora celebrate with Lucas, her son understood that goals where a good thing, even though he didn't understand the game completely.

"So have you told the boys about your surprise?" Carmen asked Alyssa looked at her mother-in-law; she knew that Carmen was the only one of her mother-in-laws that completely accepted the marriage between Alyssa, Iker, Fernando and Sergio.

Paqui still refused to have anything to do with the family, she was hoping that her son would one day see sense; she hadn't even come to see Lucas and refused to acknowledge him as her grandson.

Flori was still a little awkward about her son's marriage to Alyssa; she only spoke with her when she had to in fear of being shut out like Paqui had.

"Not yet... I was thinking of just surprising them with the children," Alyssa said with a shrug as she glanced at Viola, who was now watching her older siblings as they continued to celebrate the goal.

Carmen sighed as she moved to sit next to her daughter-in-law, she knew how hard it was for Alyssa to be left behind while the three were away; they had left her with three children to look after.

"How are you coping?" Carmen asked making Alyssa sigh as she made sure that Viola was comfortable before turning her attention back to Carmen.

Alyssa licked her lips as she looked down at her wedding ring, she still didn't want to admit that something was wrong.

"I've been better... I miss them," Alyssa admitted to Carmen; who smiled as she hugged the younger woman, wishing that she would open up and admit that she didn't feel right.

"I know... I bet they miss you too," Carmen said softly making Alyssa smile as the match continued; she couldn't help someone that didn't want to be helped.

***

The match ended Spain three, Australia nil with a further goal being scored by Juan Mata after the goals from David and Fernando; Spain walked away with three points for their next match against Mexico.

Alyssa smiled as she tucked Nora into bed, the little girl yawned as she cuddled her teddy bear as she fell asleep; Lucas was already tucked away in bed and that left Viola who was due for a feed.

Alyssa headed back to her bedroom, the suddenly quiet house making her realise that she was alone; Alyssa sniffed as she walked into her room and walked towards Viola's cot.

"Hola Lala," Alyssa said with a small smile as she picked her daughter up and moved to settle on the bed to feed her; she adored the nickname that Lucas had given his baby sister.

Alyssa knew that the boys were expecting a call from her but Alyssa wasn't sure that she could handle speaking to them right now; she missed them and wanted them home, something that wouldn't happen now for at least another week.

Alyssa cuddled Viola as she started to cry, she had to be quiet so that Carmen and Luis didn't hear her; she didn't want to worry them, but she had cried every night since her husbands' had left for Brazil.

Alyssa ignored the soft ringing of her skype as she cried quietly to herself, she felt guilty for not being able to protect Viola while she was pregnant; it was her fault that her little girl had been born early.

Alyssa looked down at her daughter wondering what she was going to do; she put on a tough front for her in-laws, while deep down inside she had no idea what she was doing even after having Lucas.

"Why is this so hard?" Alyssa cried softly as she held Viola close to her, the little girl stared up at her mother with innocent blue eyes as if knowing that Alyssa was suffering.

Alyssa rocked Viola back and forth as the ringing stopped before her mobile started to ring; she sniffled as she looked down at Viola and moved to settle her daughter in her cot as Alyssa tried to keep calm before she answer the call.

"Hola?" Alyssa said as she wiped away her tears, she hoped that they wouldn't be able to sense the tremor in her voice as she spoke; Alyssa sighed relieved as Fernando greeted her happily.

It was clear that he was none the wiser that she had been crying and that was the way that Alyssa wanted it; whatever was wrong with her, she would deal with on her own.