06

As dawn arrived in the town of Port Royal, the sound of frantic footstep flooded the quiet sound of the Adams house hold. They came from Evelyn's room. The girl herself was pacing across her floor as she packed a small bag. She barley slept that night but no signs of it was shown in her wide awake eyes. Walking to her bed, she placed her small brown back on top of her dissembled comforter. She pulled the string and opened it. Beside the bag was various items she was packing. Evelyn packed a few things into the bag such as food, silver, and a diary. The last item beside the bag was a small bronze compass her father once brought home from one of his many trips. Without even hesitating, Evelyn threw a compass inside the bag, tying the strings into a bow. Turning around, Evelyn walked to her vanity table where her clothes she picked out rested on. She peeled off her white nightgown, tossing it on her vanity chair. Picking up her white blouse, she slipped it on, adjusting the ruffles on the end of her sleeves. She reached for her black vest, tightening the golden straps in front of her stomach. Evelyn reached for her black pants, sticking one leg in at a time and wiggling around as she pulled them up. Looking around the floor, Evelyn sat down on her vanity chair, spotting her black knee high boots and her sword. She tied the sword around her hips with ease. Then, lifting one leg at a time, she slipped on her boots before setting her feet down. Swerving in her seat, she look at herself in a mirror. A sigh passed through her nose as she reached up to ruffle her curly strawberry blonde hair. Then a thought popping in her head. She looked down  at the three different drawers and pulled open the one on the left. Reaching in, she pulled out a black scarf covered with hand painted white flowers all around it. She wrapped the fabric around her hand, placing her elbows on top of the vanity. Slowly, she brought it to her nose. Closing her eyes, Evelyn breathed in the smell of her mother on it. An odd feeling began to swarm in her stomach as she opened her eyes. She furrowed her eyebrows and did a half turn to look at her bedroom. Her emerald eyes danced around the ceiling, across the furniture, and the floorboard. The odd sensation grew stronger making her face slightly fall. She turned her eyes to look down at Marie's bed that was beside the vanity table. She picked up the sleeping kitten and held her in her arms. The creature gave a slight annoyed meow as she woke up.

"I'm sorry." Whispered Evelyn. She scratched the top of her soft, furry head with her index finger. "I fear this may be the last time I see you for a while." Evelyn scooped her in her hands, lifting her to meet her lips. She leaned in and pressed a few gentle kisses on the kitten's forehead. "Goodbye." Evelyn whispered, pressing her nose against the purring kitten. She gently leaned down to place her back on her small bed. Pushing her hands on her knees, she stood up and walked over to her bed. Evelyn grabbed the bag and slowly began to look back around at her room. She slowly began to walk to her door, slipping the straps on her shoulder. Reaching the door handle, she hesitated as she gripped it. Turning her shoulders, she looked around her room once more. "No, I need to do this. For Will and Elizabeth." She said to herself as she turned to face the door. Evelyn turned the handle and pulled the door open, walking out. Closing the door behind her, she felt her stomach turn as she looked around and truly began to look at her house. She walked in between the stair railing and the grey wall. Her hands drifted up and ran along each, eyes shifting side to side. She looked up as she walked down the staircase at the paintings on the walls, studying the artwork and the detailed colors painted on them. Turning her head, she looked at the chandelier and the table right underneath with the vase full of her flowers on top. Evelyn turned her head once more to look at her parents that stood at the bottom of the staircase with Will's back to her. The three turned their heads to look up at her. Sad eyes were plastered on her parents faces. She reached the bottom and gave a smile as best as she could.

"I didn't think you both would be up." She started as she walked across the cream tile, stopping right beside Will's side.

"Of course we would. You didn't honestly think that you would leave without saying goodbye to us right?" Amelia asked her with a sad smile on her face.