18

"Beckett?" Mr. Gibbs questioned.

"Yes, they're signed." Leo confirmed, nodding his head as his eyes flicker between the letters and Mr. Gibbs. "Lord Cutler Beckett of the East India Trading Company." Jack studied the letters and made a disgusted sound at the mentioning of his name. Evelyn stared off and met the eyes of a filthy version of James Norrington as he scrubbed at the wooden deck. She still couldn't believe that he was there right before her eyes or that he had spent his time wasting away in Tortuga.

"Miss. Adams, you and Will are working for Beckett and never said a word?" Mr. Gibbs accused, causing her to break her stare from James Norrington. Jack threw her a look of surprise with a hint of pain. Evelyn glanced at him then focused her attention on Mr. Gibbs.

"I am not!" She exclaimed, staring at him with wide eyes of offense. "Yes, Will is working for Beckett but I'm not. He was only doing it to free himself and Elizabeth from the gallows." She crossed her arms over her chest. The three men stared at her until Mr. Gibbs look directly at Jack.

"Beckett wants the compass. Only one reason for that." He said, ideas swarming in his mind and eyes as he looked at his captain.

Jack turned his head to look at him, thinking. A nod came from Jack as if they were on the same exact page. "Of course. He wants the chest."

"What chest?" Evelyn asked curiously. Her mind went else where, back to the Flying Dutchman. A familiar conversation with a certain crew member flooded her mind as she zoned out for a moment.

"Yes, he did say something about a chest." Leo said crossing his arms over his chest. He glanced down at Evelyn, bumping into her gently to bring her back into the conversation.

Her eyes flickered from the ground up to Leo then the others. "What chest?" Evelyn repeated then paused. "Are you talking about the chest of Davy Jones?" She questioned, looking up at Mr. Gibbs for an answer.

"Aye. If the company controls the chest, they controls the sea." He said looking down at Evelyn.

"A truly discomfiting notion, love." Jack said to Evelyn, causing her to look at him.

"And bad." Mr. Gibbs sharp voice caused her to look back at him. "Bad for every mother's son what calls himself a pirate." The man snapped his head up to look at the sky. "I think there's a bit more speed to be coaxed from these sails." He looked at the crew. "Brace the foreyard!" He ordered then disappeared from the others.

"Might I enquire as to how you came by these?" Jack asked, looking at Leo.

"Elizabeth came to give them to me the night she disappeared." Leo replied, squaring his shoulders.

"What?" Evelyn questioned, looking at Leo in complete and utter shock. "Elizabeth escaped her cell and got those letters to give to you? Why? How?" Evelyn asked quickly, eyes widen.

"This is part of the reason why I came here. I came here for many different reasons actually. But yes she did. The night I had gotten into Port Royal I had just been informed about your whereabouts. I had already been planning on coming to find you and Will after I had left your parents home when Elizabeth came out from the shadows. Governor Swann helped her escaped the prison cell so she wasn't alone. Elizabeth then left the carriage she had been ordered to take to get to safety to go to Lord Beckett and get those letters. After she got them she had two options: to come here herself to get them to your or to find someone to get them to you. She had happen to find me at the best time and explained everything to me. So I took the letters and told her I'd do it. After that, Elizabeth left without saying so much as a goodbye. That was the last I ever heard from her." Leo explained, taking in a breath he so desperately needed.