13. You Make Her Really Happy

*Not Edited*

*also warning: this chapter is very time jumpy!*

Harry Styles-

I had a bad feeling in my stomach from the second the door shut at Luke's. I shouldn't have left her there alone. I should've waited outside. Hell, I should've stayed with her in there and just kept the kids in another room.

When I opened the door and saw her, eyes swollen, cheeks flushed and tears streaming down her face, my heart dropped to my stomach.

The way she she gripped my shirt as she cried into my chest and seeing how mentally and physically exhausted she looked after being at Luke's broke my heart.

As I walked toward the door to leave her to sleep, I turned back to find her already knocked out, breathing steadily as she nuzzled herself further into my pillow and comforter.

I shut the door, gently, not to disturb her, before returning to the living room where Stevie has blocked she and Ford in using pillows and couch cushions- a fort of sorts.

Stevie turned her head to me and grinned as I joined them on the carpet, leaning against the couch as they watched Pocahontas. "Was that my mommy?" Stevie asked, looking down at her lap as she fiddled with the hem of her dress in her tiny fingers.

"Yeah, it was." I sighed, allowing her to lean against my side as I combed her little baby hairs away from her forehead with my fingers.

"Is she okay? I thought she was with Daddy?"

I winced, not knowing myself exactly what happened, and also not wanting to say anything without asking Stella first. "She'll be fine. She was just really tired, I think. We had a long travel day today."

She nodded before crawling onto my lap and hugging me. I furrowed my brows, wondering why Stevie has felt the need to do so, but was distracted when Ford squealed and followed in suit, crawling onto my legs.

I chuckled, hugging both of them, one in each arm, before I began to tickle their stomachs, causing both of them to howl in laughter.

We went on for a couple minutes before the both calmed down and we simply watched the movie some more. I continued to play with Stevie's hair, as she requested I braid it. I'd had some practice after Stella attempted to teach me last night and it turned out better on Stevie than it had Stel.

"Harry, sometimes I wish you were my daddy. Daddy makes mommy sad but you make her really happy." Stevie spoke, absentmindedly as she stared at the television screen while Pocahontas sang 'Colors of the Wind.'

"That's very sweet, but your daddy is nice to you, right?" I inquired, now worried there was more to her being hesitant around Luke than just the fish & chips incident.

She shrugged, making my stomach twist, "Usually, but sometimes he yells at me. Like while you and mommy were gone, I asked him if he could play with me after dinner and he took my tablet away and yelled at me that it was bedtime and he didn't have time to play with me, but I know it wasn't. Then he left with some lady and Grandma came over with us."

I bit at my bottom lip in frustration, trying to understand how anyone could possibly treat their kid that way. "Has he been mean like that any other time?" I proved further.

"He hit me on the bum the other day. I didn't pick up my toys like he asked me and he got mad because he tripped over one when he was walking to his cart thing."

I thought back to being in Luke's apartment, trying to figure out what 'cart thing' she would be referring to. I clenched my jaw, mumbling to myself, "The mini bar."